Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window won't go up

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window won't go up

Was a nice hot day here so had the roof down and windows down on my way home from work today. Now I cant get the drivers window up.

Spent a few minutes on it and determined that it is not a fuse since the passenger window works fine, not the switch since I swapped the switches for the passenger and driver window and the passenger window still works with the driver switch and driver does not with the passenger.

Took off the door card and plastic barrier and tried to move around the regulator and it wont budge. I think it is stuck because I hear the motor click when I hit the switch like it is trying to turn.n I tried to help it while hitting the switch but it wouldn't budge.

Any suggestions on a plan of attack to fix this?

Thanks

Mark
Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the window scissor look corroded? The inside of the doors do get damp - I don't think there is a drain in the bottom of the door. That's why the vent is there.

Anyhow if the mechanism seems jammed, first plan of attack would be WD40 on the pivots and let it soak in, then a bit of a wiggle to break any surface stiction. Then try and send the window up - give it a bit of assistance as it tries to slide the window up if it seems to be struggling.

The motor could be burned out, or have burned out the brushes. If you are lucky you'll get it moving again...

If not, the motor can be replaced independently. In the meantime you probably want to get the window back up - I've not tried to remove the motor while the windows are in place, but that may or may not work.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

I looked and it doesn't look corroded at all. I am thinking that I will loosen up some of the mounting screws to try and get it moving. Possibly my motor is weak.

Anyone know where the ground is for the window motor. I want to clean it possibly not enough juice is getting to the motor.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 PM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

I once had a wire find it's way over the top of my window while it was rolled down. I know this is ridiculous, but check the entire upper edge of your window and make sure nothing is obstructing it's path. Good luck!
-Mike.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

So I went out to the garage just now to work on it a little bit and the window went up. GO FIGURE

So this makes me both happy and sad at the same time. I would feel allot better if I knew what the problem was and fixed it. As of now it could happen again. Anyways I am going to lube up everything before closing up the door and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help

Mark
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mhr
So I went out to the garage just now to work on it a little bit and the window went up. GO FIGURE

So this makes me both happy and sad at the same time. I would feel allot better if I knew what the problem was and fixed it. As of now it could happen again. Anyways I am going to lube up everything before closing up the door and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help

Mark
Ok did happen to my buddy on his 89 ,so what we did is remove the transmission from the motor without removing the motor from the door (not easy got to take your time & have patience) ) the tramsmission shaft look like a little hugger.With time the grease in there got cake up so hard that it will keep the shaft from turning even though the motor was just fine. After cleaning & lubing it again everything work A one & has been since then (over two years ago).
Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Thanks ernie I will look at that if this happens again.

One thing that I noticed is that the stopper for the maximum down travel was not set and tightened it was just loose. So I am thinking that yesterday when I lowered the window it went too far down and got jammed up a bit. Then when it sat overnight everything cooled down (yesterday it was hot) and the metal contracted so it got unstuck.

I set the stopper so that it only goes down a little below the rubber, lubed everything up and reinstalled the door card. Fingers crossed I will see what happens.

Mark

Quick Reply: Window won't go up