Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal going to the floor after brake line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Stiletto
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch pedal going to the floor after brake line replacement

So, I got up the courage to do a little work on the 951: Replaced the old brake lines with Paragon's stainless steel lines, and re-filled with fresh brake fluid. Probably easy stuff for most of you guys, but I'd never done it before so I was a little worried.

Brake lines were pretty simple to replace. The retaining clips holding the old lines in were a little tough, but otherwise things went well. I used the Motive Power Bleeder to bleed the brakes and the slave cylinder. Got everything back together, sat in the driver's seat and BAM--clutch pedal snaps to the floor as soon as I touch it. Also, the brake pedal travels a bit longer than it should before engaging the brakes.

It seems that I didn't bleed the lines properly.

However I thought I did everything right:

1. Pressurized Motive tool
2. Opened the bleeder on the caliper and waited for all the bubbles and old fluid to pass. Once I saw the new fluid I close the screw.
3. Did the above for all 8 bleeders, in the correct order.
4. Bled the slave cylinder in the same way.

I think what may have happened is I let the fluid reservoir get kind of low during the slave cylinder bleed, and might have forced some air through the system. Once I realized this, I re-did the slave cylinder bleed and waited for the bubbles to stop, and thought that would be fine.

So on to my questions:

1. Anyone have any other suggestions for what I might try to solve this, besides re-bleeding everything from scratch?

2. Should I not have used the Power Bleeder for the clutch slave cylinder?

3. The real silly question: Where can I get some more ATE Super Blue fluid? Do any major chains carry it? I sent away for the quart I used, and went through it all!

Thanks in advance for any help. You guys have all helped me a lot in the past when I've screwed things up
Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure if you did but start w/ the furthest brake caliper from the master cylinder and work your way closer- right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Once you see bubbles coming out just keep bleeding for a few seconds. You may just need to rebleed the master cylinder since it got dry. Just push/pull the brake pedal back and forth a dozen times w/ the resevoir full before you bleed the rest of the system. THe clutch can be tricky to bleed sometimes. Just make sure you have a full resevoir the whole time you are bleeding.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Stiletto
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your advice! Yes, I bled the brakes in the right order. I will try re-bleeding the clutch system tomorrow. You said re-bleed the master cylinder. Where is the bleeder on the master cylinder?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:21 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no bleeder on the master cylinder. Just pump the pedal awhile and it should get the air out. Then bleed the brakes.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Use the motive and bleed the clutch system from the slave cylinder.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Also you could try slowly pushing and pulling the cluch pedal to see if that helps build up pressure
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Stiletto
Rennlist Member

Well, the Renn-tard of the day award goes to me. I was operating the Power Bleeder incorrectly. Note to self: Uou have to fill the PB with brake fluid, not just the reservoir.

Re-bled, pumped the clutch pedal a little, and it's good as gold. The brakes are still a little spongey, but I can re-bleed them some other time without having to crawl under the car.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal going to the floor after brake line replacement