Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solenoid/ignition lead trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 PM
God_Bot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoid/ignition lead trouble

Well I went to take my starter off so I could take it in and have it tested as it took way too much effort to get the car started yesterday.

Turns out that little nut on the ignition lead had stripped out the threads on the stud. Instead of cutting the wire and fighting with the stripped threads off the car I choose to try a quick pull/twist method to see if I could get it to catch on higher threads. Well I did, but at the same time I snapped off the stud in the solenoid.

Here are the images.

What's going to be the next step in fixing this? I doubt NAPA can test the starter without a working ignition lead. It would be nice if I could get this fixed by Monday before I leave for a week (it's currently up on ramps in the driveway blocking garage access.)
Old 05-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Options are a small left hand drill bit to try and remove it or drill the center and use an Easy Out. Buy the BEST Set of Easy Outs you can find. Cheap Easy Outs will break off and then you really have a problem. Some tools you only use one time you can get away buying cheap. Allen Wrenches and Easy Outs you only buy the BEST.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get a starter...
Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 AM
God_Bot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have the original starter that still works minus a broken nose cone. Problem is it's 250 miles away and I won't be able to go get it for another few weeks. I was hoping to figure out something so I could still use the car in the meantime. I ended up pushing it back into the garage and think I may just end up waiting it out. My cars are not too happy right now, only one out of three is actually functioning.

Quick Reply: Solenoid/ignition lead trouble