Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ball joint repair kit???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your clip fell out, it either wasn't seated, or the arm has been bored before. Travis will help.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Again Olli, I have to correct you. The VW golf boots do not fit for the same reason you can't just take the boots off of an early 944 ball joint and use it on a late aluminum arm. Though the pin diameter is the same, the lower portion of the boot is quite a bit larger on the aluminum arms. You can stretch a VW boot over it but they end up splitting rather quickly starting at that lower edge.
At least all VW boots i have used fit just fine with VW attachment hardware. At least better than boots you used to offer with your kits. Most Rennbay kit users used to install old oem boots, because that hard rubber/plastic one did not work as it should.
I am not sure if there are not suitable VW boots around in the States, but in Europe they can be found easily.

This is a german made VW boot, fitment is just fine, just like oem one have.

There are also other good alternatives to rebuild these control arms. I have also used Rennbay product, so i have experience of several alternatives. Glad to hear Rennbay kit have had another style of boot.

Last edited by Olli Snellman; 08-15-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I acknowledge your opinion but respectfully have to disagree. There is a reason we don't use VW boots as stated above. See the difference?
I think it is great you are working to bring another product to market. Thats what capitalism is all about. What I will not do is sit idle while false information is being posted about ball joint kits in general. Now I am not saying that you are doing it intentionally but it only serves to hurt both of our products. I hope you can understand.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Well, i am not bringing anything to market, i am just using various kits with my buildups.
At least VW boots i have used (like in the picture i posted) fit like they should without any difficulties.It was as easy as the oem one to install. Control arm in the picture have been used for several thousend KM's after rebuild without any problems.
As you can see from the picture, that boot is not stretched at all, so i don't see where am i posting false information. I try to find the original package from which the manufacturer of these boots can be found.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The lower diameter is smaller but it will stretch over. Problems will arise later shown by the boot splitting at the bottom. Just compare it to the boot on a new OEM arm and you will see what I am talking about.

I was also under he impression by your recent posts on the subject in this and other threads that you were the one bringing the 9prod kit to market. I know you said something about working closely on the development and having received a final version that turned out not to be the final version, or something like that.
Whatever the case, good luck.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Threre are different kind of aftermarket VW balljoints, so there are also different kind of boots. Boots i have used are more or less the same as oem one what comes to size.
I do not run 9Products. It is my friends company, and i occasionally ask him to develope parts i am interested in.Sometimes he even fabricate them. Pictures i have posted here are not from 9Product kit; it's a german made kit, so there are several other ball joint kits available beside Rennbay kit.

Quick Reply: ball joint repair kit???????