Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brought home the 944 today..with some issues..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
thanks for the info guys! the fuse/relay diagram will come in handy! i've been looking at www.pelicanparts.com and it seems they have a lot of good prices on repair parts so i'll probably be using them, 944online, and rennbay. i'd love to post interior pics but its soo embarassing..once i clean it a bit later today i'll get pics up.

after i sort out my electrical gremlins, i'm gonna concentrate on my high idle. idles at 1200rpm. idle is smooth though so i can't complain too terribly much. gonna dig in the manual i suppose. all i have is a haynes manual...which isnt great but better than nothing i suppose.
The three places I swear by are rennbay, paragon and pelican. If you need a factory part and are a member of PCA try sunset porsche in oregon.

Oh, nice GS you got there. I thought only the GSL had a rear wiper. see how memory fades after 25 years.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ernie9468
Forgot from now on your best friend will be www.clarks-garage.com don't be shy & use it.
++!!
clarks-garage.com is awesome. I have the factory workshop manuals as well, and I wind up using Clark's Garage more often than not. It's far more user-friendly and has a lot of tips that the manuals don't
Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering I paid $1700 for a well-updated '88 with twice your mileage;
your rare color, black cookies and a solid motor seems a fair trade for $2000-ish in Ohio.

Seems like Florida has the best prices for non-rusted examples so its cool that locality and color drove the sale terms for ya..

Love your choice and Best of Luck..

Look fwd to pics of your progress.
Cheers! Mikey

Last edited by VirginiaF1; 05-08-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

check to see if the headlight motor is plugged in
Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

headlight motor is plugged in. headlights go up and turn on but do not go down and i have no instrument lights.. i was first thinking it may be a faulty dimmer switch but since the lights do not retract i feel i have another issue..
Old 05-08-2011, 02:50 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

as promised, here are a couple more pics of the car. i'll get a couple more tomorrow. as you can see, i need seats very badly. there is silver and black duct tape on them. i also plan on getting new leather for the shifter and a nice set of Porsche script floor mats. i also need to get some newly used rear speaker covers. mine are completelt wasted:

luckily my daughter (who just happened to have finished a chocolate oce cream cone) highly approves of the 944:

Old 05-08-2011, 01:15 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

here's where i'm at now with the wheel bearing replacement. gonna turn the rotors and replace the pads while i'm at it as both look pretty scummy.

and a pic of the engine bay. its pretty dirty but i haven't had a chance to clean it yet:

Old 05-08-2011, 10:50 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Nice to see "before the work starts" pictures...
Maybe she can learn how to drive stick on this P-car one day. )

Any leaks from steering rack? Any leaks from other places?

P.S.: I love the 1:50am picture timestamp... the bug has bitten!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

i had snapped the pics earlier in the day and the kids kept me up late and then i got to tinkering with teh car and forgot to post the pics. so i posted and then went to bed. it really was 1:50am when i posted, lol.

i do have an oil leak that i need to diagnose. its coming from the passenger side somewhere it seems.. i was thinking oil cooler but i don't have oil leaking into my coolant. i'll have to get it on my buddy's lift and inspect it. power steering doesn't seem to be leaking. the hose on the resivour is covered in old nasty black p/s fluid and its trapping in dirt and grime. i'm going to replace that hose and all other hoses that appear weak. i'll inspect the rack when i get the car on the lift and see if there's any seepage. can't guarentee if its leaking or not. no puddles on the garage floor but it's still worth inspecting.

if my daughter still loves cars in 12 years when she can drive then she's welcome to learn to drive on the 944. i fear she'll be into more estrogen applicable items but a dad can hope.. here's hoping my son stays on the good path as well. he always wants to sit in it and help me work on it.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

posting this in addition to my other thread so i can keep this one going as i work on it before i start a restoration thread. i will continue to update this thread as i work on the car and replace parts. as i was digging into the right rear growling noise on my 944, i was hoping that i had diagnosed the issue properly. the issue that i'm having is that i hear growling, feel vibration, and can hear a clunking noise in the right rear over bumps. i was thinking i had a faulty wheel bearing set in the right rear and decided to start there. as i tore the right side down, it seemed as though the outer bearing had given up the ghost. the inner bearing looked fine. i'm going to replace both tomorrow and install the new seals that came in today. then i'll do the left side just to be safe. this is what i found on the right rear:

foul rust/water contaminated grease:

can see the issue right away:

doesn't look like the inner bearing has even been out:

outer bearing removed from the hub:

as the car sits now, waiting for me to finish the job tomorrow:

Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Wow... so the 85.5 went to alum fronts but retained steel rears? hmmm..
Can't wait to pull my rear tomorrow...
Thanks for pix!
Also loved your "Action Pic" on the other thread.. Cheers.
Mikey
Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

i actually have an early build 85 which is why it has the steel rear carriers. i finished the bearing job and have the brakes buttoned up on the right rear but not the left rear yet. i'll post more pics in the morning of where i'm at. then i'll move on to the front pads and rotors and repacking of the front bearings...then to diagnose my lighting issue, replace the plugs, set the idle, fix the shifter slop, and i should be good to go!! **crosses fingers*
Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

I tried the taped seat technique and ended up ruining a suit I was wearing. Do you have any interest in really clean and unfaded Porsche cloth "script" seats? I am supposed to be picking up a lot of 944/924 parts this week for use on future projects so I should have them soon. Let me know. I am within 2 hour drive or so and could also meet.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:28 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

i actually would kill for a set of black sport seats, lol. shoot me a pm with what you'd want for them and if we can get together i'd like to go for it.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

I was talking about cloth "Script" seats. Not the sport seats I have in my current cars. Send me a PM if interested.

Quick Reply: Brought home the 944 today..with some issues..