Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re ring alusil bores?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:46 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I here you Daryl. There is a point where you can study this stuff to hard. Often a good running motor is just that, if there are any glaring problems, they manifest themselves quickly.
I see this on PPi's a lot. The buyer wants comp/leakdown figures before anything else. And I don't mind that at all, but after you see a few, tear a few apart, drive and own them for years; you can say: "I don't think there's a problem" with a very high confidence. In fact, it's the motors that people tear into that are the one's to look out for.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:46 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
In fact, it's the motors that people tear into that are the one's to look out for.
We completely agree on that. Even if you know the work was done well, was it the RIGHT work? There is a lot of symptom fixing going on out there.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:48 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the general consensus with builders is yes, factory rings(not just OEM) are much prefered. There are others who make OEM style rings, but FACTORY rings are know to have the proper composition of carbon/chrome or whatever it is that's critical to alusil. Don't skimp on rings at this point.
+1

I'll add my weighting to the OE and OEM distinction.

OE (Original Equipment or Factory) means factory part from the Porsche dealer with the Porsche part number sticker on it.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer eg Zimmerman for discs or Textar for pads) is not the same as OE! There are notable differences in spec between a Porsche brake disc and a Zimmerman brake disc.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure that the crank-thrust is in spec before you go to far in any one direction.
+1

Mike

Quick Reply: re ring alusil bores?