Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew a hose, any one know why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blew a hose, any one know why?

Yesterday while driving I noticed smoke coming from under the hood, it was anti freeze so I trace it back to the small hose off the top of the water pump to the rail that runs down the left side of the motor to the left of the top of the oil filter on my 85.5 na 944, ($9 with shipping, should be here mid week), not bad for a 25 year old part.
Any one know why these cars have size changing hoses?
Anti freeze being one of the last things that I have to change (all other fluids, belts, maintenance issues done, still have plugs, wires, cap and rotor) I will change all hose's, clamps, anti freeze and thermostat.
Glad it happened in town and not on the 3 hour trip to get the Saratoga Top last weekend.
James
Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

that pipe is known to corrode over time at the ends, which would make the hose fall off..howd it look on the end?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:44 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have size changing hoses because they are an amalgam of off the shelf parts thrown together.
It may be a good idea to check the heater hoses at the back of the motor also. They can be a pain to change, but well worth the effort. Don't forget the heater valve. Plan on pulling the entire intake off to make it MUCH easier. IIRC, the heater hoses terminate at the heater core inside the firewall. You have to get them from inside the pass. footwell(?).
Old 04-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

A vacationing penguin is driving his through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."
Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
that pipe is known to corrode over time at the ends, which would make the hose fall off..howd it look on the end?
it had a hole in it a bit of crud at the ends of the pipes but not the problem at least at this time.

Quick Reply: Blew a hose, any one know why?