Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt assistance for a newb VA / DC / MD

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
sailinmike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt assistance for a newb VA / DC / MD

Hey all,

I finally picked up the car I've always wanted - 86 944 Turbo Red / Black with the fuchs wheels. She's in great shape and got her for a good deal with just around 100k on the clock.

To get myself familiar with the car and take some of the advice I've read about here, I figured I would take a stab at replacing the timing belt since the last time it was replaced according to the owners records was about 9 years ago (but only 10k miles back). I've got it jacked up and most of the parts taken off, just thought it'd be good to have someone with experience (and a tensioning tool) help me walk through it.

Anyone in the DC area want to stop by to help out with this job? Beverages and / or use of a hydraulic spring compressor for your next suspension job in return...

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-09-2011, 09:09 PM
kingston944
Racer

Check out youtube 944 turbo water pump and timing belt change it is Van Svenson parts 1,2,3 GREAT VIDEO and of course Clarks's garage.Good luck
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Sorry im a little far Mike, but good luck! there are some pretty knowledgable guys in that area and im sure someone can come out and drink your beer/eat your pizza!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Supachink
Racer

Im in fairfax and have all the tools, pm me and we can work something out.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I am in arlington and would be willing to help you out for sure. I will be needing a hand on my car in south arlington in a few months too. Send me a PM and I can stop by and help you out. When are you thinking of finishing this up?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supachink
Im in fairfax and have all the tools, pm me and we can work something out.
Dude, I assume you got your turbo up, as I saw your NA FS... ON CL!

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
Sorry im a little far Mike, but good luck! there are some pretty knowledgable guys in that area and im sure someone can come out and drink your beer/eat your pizza!
Whiney little biotch voice ON* "Sorry I'm a little far mike... wahhh.. wahhh"

Voice Off*

Man up, tell her the wedding is off, and move back up here already!

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
I am in arlington and would be willing to help you out for sure. I will be needing a hand on my car in south arlington in a few months too. Send me a PM and I can stop by and help you out. When are you thinking of finishing this up?
WOOT.. lets do this!

Originally Posted by sailinmike
Hey all,

I finally picked up the car I've always wanted - 86 944 Turbo Red / Black with the fuchs wheels. She's in great shape and got her for a good deal with just around 100k on the clock.

To get myself familiar with the car and take some of the advice I've read about here, I figured I would take a stab at replacing the timing belt since the last time it was replaced according to the owners records was about 9 years ago (but only 10k miles back). I've got it jacked up and most of the parts taken off, just thought it'd be good to have someone with experience (and a tensioning tool) help me walk through it.

Anyone in the DC area want to stop by to help out with this job? Beverages and / or use of a hydraulic spring compressor for your next suspension job in return...

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

First off welcome to rennlist... the best little dysfunctional family you could ever hope to try to forget about and move on with your life! Just kidding... OK not really!.. well maybe..

We rallied the troops 2 weekends ago for the very same job on an 87 944S in MD... I suppose we could (or someone could) step up once again..

I think Pete was looking for a few hands on a clutch job as well!

PM me your address, I can stop by tomorrow!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm in Arlington (Ballston) and will certainly stop over for assistance. PM Me the Time and Address!

-Pete
Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Whiney little biotch voice ON* "Sorry I'm a little far mike... wahhh.. wahhh"

Voice Off*

Man up, tell her the wedding is off, and move back up here already!

Brave words for a man who would only be a scant 700 miles away from the hydrogen bomb that would explode in her head when i tell her!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Mr.Rodgers
Instructor

Is there a possibility that I could piggyback on this? I need to do my belts soon and I'd rather not do it solo for my first time
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scree.. scree...

There are some who can help, some who can watch, and some who can stand and mock..
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

Scree.. scree...

There are some who can help, some who can watch, and some who can stand and mock..

This is historic, because ive used this unfortunate internet phrase only once before: "LOL!"
Old 04-11-2011, 04:33 PM
sailinmike
Track Day

Thanks for all the replies! I'm still figuring out the features of this forum and how to get the replies sent to my inbox...

Ended up not being able to get the alternator / AC tensioner off without popping the ends off, plus I found major oil leaks coming out of the crank, so I decided to put it all back together and try again in two weeks, this time with new front engine seals and likely a new cam cover gasket while I'm there. While i was in there, I got a chance to inspect the condition of the belts - much to my surprise the belts seemed to still be in decent shape, at least good enough to let me sleep at night!

If everyone's up for it, want to get together in 2 weeks for another go-around? I live in a townhouse complex with single garages underneath. I could probably convince one or two of my neighbors to let us take over their garages for the weekend.

For all those who have replied - I will PM you all to thank you for offering to help out!

Mike
Old 04-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Rodgers
Is there a possibility that I could piggyback on this? I need to do my belts soon and I'd rather not do it solo for my first time
Do you have all the parts? We could get your car done pretty quickly. I could have the top half disassembled from your car in probably 30 minutes. Maybe we should turn this into some kind of contest or something. rofls
Old 04-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Right on. I can bring my box of 951 tools including various "crazy long extensions." I think I can set the record for taking apart the top half of a 951 engine, even though it has been 3 years, lol.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

Guys very new here to the 951. Picking mine up the weekend of the 23rd but I am willing to come help anyway I can. I am sure in the future I will need this very help, or (says a silent prayer) other things with the car. i would like to support this community. I am in Suffolk Va. Let me know.

And John many thanks for answering my endless stream of questions while I have been on this hunt.

Lane

Quick Reply: Timing belt assistance for a newb VA / DC / MD