Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal stuck to floor - question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 PM
cb944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal stuck to floor - question..

I've had my 944 off the road for a while, I got in it last week just to keep it ticking over, put my foot onto the clutch pedal and it literally sprang away from my foot, hitting the floor! It wouldn't come back up.

Looking at the forum posts, I understand that a leaking master/slave cylinder is the likely cause, so replacing them and bleeding the system should fix it. I've definitely lost some fluid, which has never happened before, so certainly it's leaked somewhere.

But my question is, since the hydraulic fluid for the clutch is shared with the brakes, could it be possible that the fluid has leaked from the brake system rather than the clutch?

I'm out of the country for a couple of weeks now and I want to get straight back on with the repair when I return, so I just wondered if I should hold off on buying anything until I've located the source of the leak, or if it is definitely only going to be one thing.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was a betting man, I would say your slave has packed it in.
It's just above the starter, so if that looks wet there's your problem.
Hey we spent some time many years back in Swanscombe, just 1 rail stop from Gravesend IIRC ;^D

Brian
Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be either your master or your slave. I recommend replacing both clutch cylinders since one usually fails after the other. I replaced my slave in 2007 and my master in 2011. Also check the condition of the rubber/hard line hose that connects the cylinders to eachother. Sometimes it cracks.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 AM
DaveCinCT
Track Day

I had this problem once, even after replacing the slave cylinder. Turns out it was REAL hard to bleed all the air out of the system. I probably pumped a pint of fluid through (with a vacuum pump) without getting all the air. So I unbolted the slave cylinder and moved it as high as the flexible section would let it go. With the slave up I was able to get the air out and that solved the problem.

Most of you probably had an easier time of it, but that how I dealt with it.

Dave Cover
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As others have mentioned it sounds like the slave cylinder is bad. Same thing happened to me at a track event a year ago.

Good luck.
Kevin
Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 AM
cb944
Advanced

Thanks for the advice I'm not actually back in the UK until the end of April, so I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself thinking that I was going to order the parts and have them ready for fitting right away when I get back.

Still, I might order at least a slave cylinder anyway so I've got something to do on the weekend after I land.

Originally Posted by sca037
Hey we spent some time many years back in Swanscombe, just 1 rail stop from Gravesend IIRC ;^D

Brian
Yep, actually I can't quite remember myself either but Swanscombe is very close... I think there's a stop at Northfleet before Swanscome so it might be two stops.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal stuck to floor - question..