Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

937 Road Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 937 Road Trip Report

Thursday 17 March 2011

Making Room. Saint Patty's day 2011 started with me making room in the garage for the new arrival. The Club Sport project was moved into the "work" garage next to the UWB where my body man was to work on final prep and priming so it will be ready for paint soon.

Initial Odometer Reading. This photo was made three weeks early during my PPI of the car, prior to a 6 mile test drive. The actual starting mileage for the trip was 41236.

Nort Northam was the independent dealer through which the previous owner sold the car to me. Nort was at the 12 Hours of Sebring, but made arrangements for his daughter to meet us at his shop late on Thursday evening to take delivery of the car.

She starts right up!

Teaser pix for friends back home, who had no idea what I was up to. We stayed that evening in Altamonte Springs FL, just up the road from Nort's place. CrashTest made the drive over from Daytona to check out the ride...and to sell me some parts 8) So the trip was business AND pleasure!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Friday 18 March 2011

First fill-up. On Friday morning, we got an early start and headed straight up to Jacksonville for a rendezvous with JoeJax.

We met Joe at a shopping plaza up on the north end of Jacksonville, where I took Joe for a quick spin around the lot.

Did I mention, the car came with a Blond 8)

After the brief photo session, we headed out for some back country driving with Joe, who made a half-hearted attempt to keep up :-D

FL-GA state line.

We started feeling hungry, so when I saw this joint, I knew we had to stop for sustenance. We were treated to excellent service by Crystal, a kool-aid haired, cigaratte smoking southern gal whose husband was drummer in the house band, Crystal Rose. The Blond, Jay and I all had catfish sandwiches. Joe wimped out and had a burger.

Shortly after lunch, Joe and Jay returned back to FL, and we continued north into SC.

We stayed in Florence with The Blond's best friends, the Suchy's. Jim is a master brewer, and provided ample supplies of grit beer, ribeyes, and laughs. He also supplied the razor blade to peel off those annoying decals on the windscreen!

The Blond.

Jim, Elizabeth, Wendy, Chris, and The Blond.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Saturday 19 March 2011

We stayed up too late and drank a little too much on Friday evening, so we got a really late start on Friday. We did our best to make up time heading up into North Carolina, but the traffic in Charlotte slowed us down even further. We finally broke free of it and met up with edredas on the north end of town.

From there, Brent followed us up to Wilkesboro, where we met up with prooutlaw at his screen printing business.

Herb had a nice surprise for us out back.

Check out Herb's simulator.

I like this rear spoiler on one of Herb's 951 track cars.

We ordered up some pizza, and while we were waiting, Herb dragged out an 8 foot ladder for us to have a photo shoot out back.

After downing the pizza, Brent followed us through Wilkesboro and up highway 18, where we were hoping to connect with the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Hallelujah, here come the twisties!

25 MPH my ***!!! w0000000000000000000000000000t!!!!!

It was not to be...here's a video clip of the approach to the Parkway...detour sign at 1:25..."oooh FUDGE!!!" at 1:26. I didn't know the Blond was filming...but it all ended up OK...highway 18 was a marvelous stretch of very twisty, mostly smooth road, and minimal fear of patrols as on the Parkway. Brent's 924S did a great job through the corners, and it was definitely some of the best driving on the trip.

When we finally did intersect with the Parkway, Brent headed back to Charlotte, and we continued north.

I'm still trying decide if the grin is because of the view, because of me, or because I asked her to drive for a stretch.

The scenery was great, even though we were probably 2-3 weeks early for the peak of spring color.

Shortly after crossing into Virginia, we made the obligatory pilgramage to Meadows of Dan. Because we all know it's all about Dan. :P

Despite being behind schedule all day, we actually arrived right on time at the Rose Hill B&B in Roanoke, a 5-star rated establishment that lived up to its billing.

We called Landen (from Rennlist) and made arrangements to meet for dinner at the Blue 5 Restaurant. The ribs were FAN-tastic.

It was dark and late by the time we finished dinner, but never too late to talk cars!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Sunday 20 March 2011

Sunday morning we got another late start, but that was because the breakfast was just too good to hurry through at Rose Hill B&B! We bypassed the parkway because we wanted to do some hiking later in the day in Shenandoah.

We learned the hard way that you should never pass up the chance to take a leak...all of the "comfort stations" in the park were closed except for a one-holer at the Big Meadow visitor center, where there was a waiting line

After averting that disaster, we grabbed some picnic supplies and went for a nice 4 mile hike along some cascades and waterfalls.

We were still running a little behind at the end of the hike, so we jumped off of Skyline Drive at Highway 221, where I enthusiastically charged down the switchbacks and had three really nice opportunities to enjoy the overtaking prowess of the 210 horses fed by that muscular scoop. What a thrill! Pedal to the floor at 3000 RPM propels the car instantly to illegal speeds...made the Blond squeal and whimper a couple of times. Keep your mind out of the gutter, boys.

At precisely 6PM Sunday evening, we arrived at Chuck's place in Derwood MD where a whole crew of Rennlisters was awaiting our arrival.

It was surprising to me how much interest the car garnered all along the way...but these '44 enthusiasts knew the history and legacy of the CGT, and what it meant for the development of their favorite rides. No toofah haters here!

And in one of the best back-stories of the whole trip, the car was reunited with Dave Derecola, whose dad was the original owner that had imported it into the US back in 1983! Dave (National Director for the 44 Cup series) and his son Chris were thrilled to see the car again, and in such great condition!

It started getting cold, so we all headed in to the warm, friendly confines of Chuck's laboratory. Er. I mean, garage. After the RL crew departed, The Blond and I accompanied Chuck and his wife to a great little Italian restaurant for dinner...what a great way to end the day!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Monday 21 March 2011

Monday started with a deluge, but it had eased to a mist by the time we hit the PA state line.

Of course, when we saw signs for Dan's Mountain State Park, we knew we had to stop. Because, as we all know, it's all about Dan.

After that little detour, we continued on our route to visit Fallingwater, a Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece in the back country of Pennsylvania.

The twisty road to Fallingwater takes you right through Ohiopyle State Park, and right along side its main attraction, the Ohiopyle Falls.

After lunch by the falls, we continued the trek back west, passing through a narrow sliver of West Virginia...

...before crossing into Ohio. Yes, that's the Welcome to Ohio sign, complete with massive pothole at the opportune moment.

That evening we met a good friend of mine for dinner at the Old Bag of Nails in Deleware OH, just north of Columbus, and spent the night at his place.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Tuesday 22 March 2011

We were in no hurry to get home on Tuesday, so my friend recommended a back country route to get over to Kidron OH, which is in the heart of Ohio Amish country. We visited the world-famous Lehman's Hardware store, and had Pork Tenderloin sandwiches in the basement of the local grocery. Along with homemade Cherry Pie (for the Blond) and Coconut Cream Pie (for me).

The trek back to Michigan was uneventful and unimpeded by state troopers (thankfully!).

We made one last pit stop to fill up the tank for final mileage readings...

...and then garaged that beautiful beast next to its new sibling at Ideola's Garage 8) I was pleased to see the Club Sport in primer!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

By the Numbers

Starting odometer: 41,236
Final odometer: 43,016
Total Miles: 1,780
Total fill-ups: 6
Total gallons: 59.637
MPG, low: 26.00 (22 March)
MPG, high: 33.45 (20 March)
MPG, average: 29.85
Number of states: 10 (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, PA, WV, OH, MI)
Number of tickets: 0 8)
Old 03-25-2011, 07:50 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool, make me want to drive to florida thanks for a great update and welcome back to sunny MI
Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Awesome!! Nicely documented trip!! I really wish I could have met up with you down at Nort's or the morning after, but things came up. Glad that you got the car home safely though! Enjoy it!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey "it's all about Dan".............you had me at catfish sandwich ;-P

Bittersweet feelings, as we just sent our 20-years-of-fun 944 to Cincy the day before you arived home with your CGT.
Your trip reminded me a bit of our 800+ mile trek to bring our red NSX back from SC (via the Dragon, of course ;^)

Can't wait to see your new ride!
Brian (& Judi)
Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Dan, good to hear you got back safely and got the CGT in her new home. Again, congrats on the buy and thanks for the documentation, great write up. Glad we got to meet up, it was great meeting you and seeing the CGT.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY COOL, CONGRATS DUDE.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so cool! i wish i was still in VA so i could have made one of the layovers... oh well...
Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome Car, and a Great trip!! I'm a little bummed that I missed the meetup when you passed through the VA MD area.

Glad you got her back safely and added to the family!

Quick Reply: 937 Road Trip Report