Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Solved* 944 Engine Noise/Tap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Gonz2828
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by St3mpy
Ok, just to update this one last time: engine is fixed! Fired it up last night, and it was tap free!

So just a run down of that I did:

1) Repaired the bent intake valve
2)Replaced the warped camtower with a good tower
3) Replaced rod bearings while the engine was out (old were "normally" worn and showed good wear patterns)
Thank you for bringing closing to this and the final recap. I stumble into this thread coz my S2 is making a noise that to me sounds like a valve or something and your resolution give me some idea of what might be going on. I would do a video as well to see what kind of response/comments I get.

Thanks again,
German
Old 08-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Jinxster
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
sounds like a lifter or your injectors are getting old...944 injectors sound like a tractor and just get louder

get a thin (1/4" square or 1/2" or so) stick of wood and put it to your ear and on each injector and on the cam tower at each lifter location and see where the noise is the loudest...that will tell you what the problem is
I just rejoined Rennlist to answer this post (not been into my 944 for a long long time)!!
Well started it yesterday after many years of being stood in the barn, (still there ..lol) and had the very loud ticking noise you all describe. it always had this ticking noise but NEVER as bad as this, anyways I read a few of these posts and the post above caught my eye so I went and bought 250ml of REDEX injector cleaner, this is meant to be mixed with 100 litres of fuel. I poured this into the almost empty tank, fired her up and within 4 - 5 minutes the ticking has COMPLETELY stopped??!?!, It did resemble a steam train for the first 10 mins after being stood for soooo long but she now runs as sweet as a nut, I even got the Mrs to come and have a listen
This may not work for everyone but it worked for me. Now I have to sort out the solid clutch (wont push down and can select gear while engine is running with no resistance)
P.S the ticking was that bad I googled engine transplants!!! my only regret is that I didn't take a video of the before and after. I think I better look into changing the nearly 20 year old timing/balance belts too... ahem!!

Quick Reply: *Solved* 944 Engine Noise/Tap