Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rack for 944?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
I stuff my santa cruz in the hatch with just the front wheel taken off. No problems. if i take both wheels off i can put 2 bikes in.
Mmmm.... My bike is a Giant Reign 1, Large frame size, and I've tried several times to figure a way to get it in without removing the rear wheel, with no luck. It MIGHT make it if I removed the passenger seat, but that would be worse than the original problem, of course.

Can you post a pic in case I'm missing something?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
I mountain bike regulary. I haven't tried to put my bike in the car but, I had in the past seen pictures with the seats down and the bikes in the back. It might get messy. I have a Saris bones rack that can fit over the spoiler.
I can get the bike into the car if I remove both wheels, but it's not the ideal solution. The Saris Bones is on my short list now. Do you have pic of yours with a bike in it?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Rodgers
My mind is pretty set on one of these:

http://www.seasucker.tv/

Mostly the Talon+

The OEM rack is waaayy to hard to find, and I'm sure that if one turned up, it would command a pretty penny. And even the Thule rack I looked at was pricey compared to these

Plus, these seem easy to install and store.
These do seem pretty cool. Kind of pricey, though. And I'd be afraid to put those suction pumps on the rear hatch glass and have that bear the force of a bike--as I mentioned, replacing the hatch glass is something I NEVER want to have to do.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 76 911s
I had Thule racks on my old '85. The look on peoples faces when we rolled into the Whistler parking lot with three DH bikes on top was priceless.

I still have the Thule towers/pads, and crossbars if you're interested.
PM sent.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtbkr1030
Take a look at this one. I have used mine on several cars over the years. The only thing that touches the car is the clamp on the edge of the top rear window. Take a close look at the pics.

http://www.bdi-bike-rack.com/index_files/Page461.htm
This is/was on my short list--seems like a clean, simple solution. Unfortunately, I can't find anyplace that has them. The distributor connected to your link said the manufacturer is in Europe and hasn't been exporting any at all and apparently he's the only source: the device is patented.

If you know where to get one of these, let me know.

Do you have one? The one thing that does bother me is that is a lot force/leverage hanging on the sheet metal of the rear panel.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhr
Search there is an extensive thread on this topic from last summer.

I use a Saris Bones on the trunk of my cab and it would work for a coupe as well.
On my short list.

Anyone have a pic of this one mounted on a coupe?

There's another, even cheaper, Saris model that is made for a single bike--the "Solo"

http://www.saris.com/bike-racks/vehi...unk-racks.html

Any opinion on that one?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtbkr1030
The BDI rack doesn't touch the pain on the car at all.

NLA as far as I can tell.... (see my previous response). Otherwise seems like a great idea.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hamlin
I have the factory roof rack still in the box. Might consider selling it.

PM sent.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catfish
In my experience, trunk mounted racks mess up paint and don't attach the rack to the car very securely. In MHR's picture i'd be pretty worried about melting my tire while idling at a stoplight. They also often don't work very well for holding mountain bikes, especially full suspension. Go to the thule or yakima websites which will tell you everything you need. If you want to save some cash, you can probably find a rack on craigslist that will only need new clips and some adjusting to fit your car. Once the rack is set up, it can be taken off the car and stored pretty easily.
Thule website's doesn't have a model they recommend. Haven't explored Yakima much yet, as if I can get one of the trunk-mounted ones to work, I'd prefer that--for easy on/off capability. If I can get one that I can set up to protect the paint, I'd like to go that way. This car is a daily driver, and paint isn't pristine by any means; OTOH I don't want to mess it up needlessly.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Default OP update

Thanks for all the suggestions.

To summarize where I'm at now:

--Prefer a trunk-mounted rig if I can find one that won't destroy the paint and/or not put the hatch glass in danger. Short list: Saris "Bones," Saris "Solo." Thule "Freeway 962."

-- BDI looks great but NLA.

-- Roof racks seem to work and I'll focus on that if I can't satisfy myself on a truck-mounted one.

-- Really don't want to put a hitch on although that solution looks best from a strength and safety view. This car is set up with a low ride height and has the Turbo rear diffuser, so that's another concern with a hitch.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will try to get a picture with it on tomorrow. The car is up on jack stands now and fairly close to the back wall of the garage, not sure if the pics will be good.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Porter

There's another, even cheaper, Saris model that is made for a single bike--the "Solo"

http://www.saris.com/bike-racks/vehi...unk-racks.html

Any opinion on that one?
I looked at the solo when I got the bones and it was a no go. Didn't fit at all. The key to the bones is the long articulating legs that can be moved around different angles to fit just about anything. I also use it on our Golf wagon and cx9 when I dont need the large hitch mount rig that I have for family outings.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I have a factory roof rack with bike carriers - works great

Scored big about 12 years ago when I called PCNA and they informed me the Porsche dealership about 2 hours away had one in stock for $200.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhr
I looked at the solo when I got the bones and it was a no go. Didn't fit at all. The key to the bones is the long articulating legs that can be moved around different angles to fit just about anything. I also use it on our Golf wagon and cx9 when I dont need the large hitch mount rig that I have for family outings.
I'm going to see if I can find one of these at one of the local bike shops and do a test fit.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen the bones racks at sporting goods shops. I know Dick's Sporting Goods has them, if you have one in your area.

Quick Reply: Bike rack for 944?