Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan gasket driving me insane.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lane
Here's what we use on our cars http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...kla944.018.htm never have to worry about it again.
Used the same and no bulges on the sides BUT when under the car last I could see a small split in the front hump of the pan gasket. Not leaking but I'm keeping an eye on it.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just removed the pan again. I am convinced that the silicone is causing this. Wherever there is silicone sealant on the gasket the gasket was squished out giving the gasket edge a concave shape. Wherever no silicon has been used the edges of the gasket have been retained and the middle bulges out giving the edge a convex shape.

I will try again without, or with a tiny bit of sealant in the corners of the hoops and perhaps a tiny bit in the dimples around the four "hoop" bolts not on the main gasket surface (in the corners). If I can I'll use a sealant called Epple 33 which is silicon free and made for rough, absorbing surfaces. I think it will stick better to the rubber.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Loctite 3020 which is a gasket adhesive, over the whole gasket. Finger tight, let the adhesive dry and then do the final torque steps. The gasket won't bulge out and no leaks.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Excellent tip. I contacted my local Loctite rep and he has agreed to gift me yet another of their products He has supplied me with every single Loctite product I've ever needed. He even delivered them to my garage. It helps that Loctite sponsors Porsche's racing team, but you got to love a real to-the-core Porsche enthusiast....
Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

the problem with using silicons is that small beads swished out into the inside of the sump can get carried round in the oil system causing blockages.

I have always used Red Hermatite on troublesome gaskets and mating surfaces. It might be worth gluing the gasket onto the sump with all the bolts just dropped through the holes from the wrong side to locate the gasket until the Hermatite has set. Then the gasket should stay in place when offered up and torqued. No wet hermatite or silicon can get into the sump either.
Sounds like a similar product to the Loctite product Duke mentioned
Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vette951s
I've used "The Right Stuff" gasket sealant from Permatex with success.
+1, it is especially easy in the aerosol can.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not do it dry? I have never had an issue and have done more pan gaskets that most of you will ever do. 100% success doing it dry and it costs nothing. Nothing to buy and it works.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Why not do it dry? .
presumably because of the problems the op has been experiencing (read first post) the sump flanges may be distorted due to accident damage or over -tightening etc
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
presumably because of the problems the op has been experiencing (read first post) the sump flanges may be distorted due to accident damage or over -tightening etc
He has done it wet every time and best I can see the gasket moves around because it is wet.

I have installed pans with missing fins due to hitting stuff and never had any issues. There not much concern for distortion of the metal on a pan due to installation. The gasket will always crush in different ways to compensate rather then bending the pan. The only physical damage there could be are gouges in either block or pan sealing surfaces caused by rough removal of old gasket glue that should never have been used in the first place.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 AM
vette951s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gasket should be installed dry except for a small dab at the four transitions from the flat rails to the front and rear rounded areas.

John
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all of you. A lot of nice tips here. I might try it dry and see what happens. If not the Loctite is free, so I might just test it out.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Ponda
2nd Gear

I started reading this thread because I'm about to install my first pan gasket, so I'm no expert, but one thing I noticed about my Victor Reinz pan gasket is that it seems to have the mold release agent still on it. Obviously, that was intended to keep it from sticking the the manufacturing equipment, but it will also keep it from sticking to anything else. A very small amount of isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel seems to remove it and make the gasket a little sticker.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Good luck and well done for spotting the release agent.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
hamlin
Instructor

Thanks for the Tip Ponda!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Ponda
2nd Gear

Thanks guys for your tips, the gasket went on without any creep in the rear, and it's out just a little (1/8" to 3/16") on one side of the oil pump. I used the Dow 730 very sparingly on the four corners, but my block had some (factory) sealant on the joining lines between the block and the oil put, so I also put some there.

One other observation that may be useful is that the factory surface finish on the pan and block mating surfaces seem to show machining marks. By that I mean, they are flat and smooth, but there are obvious surface marks (scratches). After the gasket flexing for thousands of miles and me cleaning up the surfaces, they were much smoother. I'm wondering if the relatively rough surface wasn't intentional, as a way to hold the gasket in place while it was compressed. If that's true, it might help to re-roughen the mating surfaces in the area where the squeeze out occurs.

Quick Reply: Oil pan gasket driving me insane.