Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will boiling brake fluid cause clutch to slip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
HavanaMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will boiling brake fluid cause clutch to slip?

I recently did a high performance driving event in my 944. During the third half hour session the clutch started to slip and at one point (momentarily) it smelled as if something was burning. After the session it appeared the brake fluid had boiled. (There was no issue prior to the third session) After the car had cooled, I drove it home and there was no slippage. Could the slippage during the session have been caused by the brake fluid getting too hot? The clutch was replaced 500 miles before the event and the slave cylinder 100 miles before. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would think not. If the fluid was boiled if anything you would have issues getting it out of gear. You could have "buttered" the clutch meaning you were riding it/slipping it during your sessions and just glazed the clutch some. Let it cool and drive it on the street to see if its still slipping- if not you may just need to use less clutch.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

A slipping clutch will smell like burned clutch. Did it slip when you were shifting and releasing the clutch, or after the clutch was already released? Probably just got on the gas too soon, before the clutch was out.

What do you mean - it appeared the brake fluid had boiled?

Actually rare to boil brake fluid by overheating the brakes - and if it happens, it happens in the calipers, not anywhere near the brake fluid reservoir, so the clutch system would not be affected. Cant imaging a clutch boiling the fluid, probably impossible.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM
HavanaMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It slipped after the clutch pedal was released. My instructor was observing what I was doing with the pedals and he said I was properly releasing the clutch and then applying throttle (and I wasn't riding the clutch either). The reason I thought the fluid had boiled was because it had leaked out of the reservoir. I was told by some of the guys at the event the it had leaked because the fluid had boiled. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Will boiling brake fluid cause clutch to slip?