Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on this deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by divil

Fair enough. I am taking everyone's advice seriously, but I can't help noticing there's a huge disparity between what you guys are saying and the adds I see out there.

there are people on the forum who've got $35 k ++ in their cars. then they sell them in the $14~17 K range. frankly, it isn't fair. there's even a thread here called something like, "spending $50 K to drive a proper $15 k 944. (maybe more like $60 K when he's finished). people sometimes get bored and decide they want to get into a new project, or a serious relationship (guys that drive Porsches often get drafted into marriage), and now wifey wants to get a house so they can put the crib in a dedicated room... it happens, and suddenly $15 k becomes a lot of money. these types of cars don't come around every day, but when they do, they're usually, the best deals out there.

i'm one of the biggest critics of the 944 out there. but today i defended the honor of the 944 T on another thread (in two posts). https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...op-gear-2.html ..... you want to see one of the nicest 924/944/968 that came available recently? had like 27 k miles, rare color and options.... https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...ries-here.html *(looks like it sold for in the neighborhood of $16 k).

i'll tell you 1 more HUGE reason why 968s are a great value. there's always an abundance of clean, working engines for sale.... and far fewer good engines available for most other P-cars. if i wasn't such a small block Chevy fanatic, i'd have a spare 968 engine preserved in a big vat of gun oil.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Well that makes perfect sense. I have looked at a few of these on the forum and I see people have spent a lot of money on them. I honestly thought that this car I've been looking at was one of these cars. The guy has listed off all the stuff he's had done to it (never upgrades though, always keeping it stock), and although I don't have it all to hand now, it was definitely thousands of $. The mechanic noticed a new started and new radiator but that is only the tip of the iceberg...he's had the shocks rebuilt, an axle replaced, cv boots replaced...anyway they have all the records I will check them again, but basically the car has never wanted for anything as long as these guys have known it.

Some of the examples of what people have paid have given me pause for thought though, especially that 4500 one...wow.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had more time and not so much going on right now with work I would drive up and take a look at it for you as Charlotte is only an hour and half northeast of me...

With that said, I think you should look at a car that is better priced, regardless of what the mechanic said. Everything mentioned that is going to be needed to this particular car is going to be needed on one that is alot cheaper. I paid 3K for mine about 4 months ago and since it has had all new hoses and vacuum lines, waterpump, timing belts and rollers, tires and clutch master, slave and hoses, O2 sensor and the interior is being redone (custom) by a very good friend of mine...along with other bits an pieces.

The way to think of it is, would you rather spend 11K now and still need to do some work on it, or would your rather save 6 or so thousand and still need to do the same amount and maybe just a tad more for a car with lower mileage?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pettybird
poor silver rose car has a hammered interior... missing the front sport seats, bad dash, bad steering wheel, bad shifter.
The Turbo S did not have Sport seats as standard. Mine came with sport seats, but it is not a silver rose car either.

Looks like standard seats that had the cloth replaced.

The shift boot is ripped up, but that is not that rare. It happens. My Turbo S had the boot replaced by the perevious owner back in 1997.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I am in Charlotte, where was it looked at?

Also if you are willing to pay that. I have a very nice condition black '86 with 105xxx miles and all maintence up to date.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

It was inspected by Eurowerks Zuffenhaus

PM sent re car for sale...
Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

OK, new question...

You guys who are saying this car is not good value - would you consider it good value at half the mileage?

I've been talking with another seller - same model (Turbo S), same year, similar condition, similar asking price, but just over half the mileage - but the clutch and shocks are original. The owner says this car has had no high dollar items replaced. So, approaching 100K miles, is it likely this car will need a lot of stuff done soon?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought my Silver Rose turbo for 10k and 130k miles.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by divil
OK, new question...

You guys who are saying this car is not good value - would you consider it good value at half the mileage?

I've been talking with another seller - same model (Turbo S), same year, similar condition, similar asking price, but just over half the mileage - but the clutch and shocks are original. The owner says this car has had no high dollar items replaced. So, approaching 100K miles, is it likely this car will need a lot of stuff done soon?
Yes...it will need a lot of things done. No escaping it..

Here is a 968 that might be a steal..if it is a coupe...236 hp, no turbo lag or plumbing and low end torque..

http://dayton.daype.com/autos/cars-a...Ad-168817.html

Quick Reply: opinions on this deal