Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Issue... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
fressssssh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Issue... Help!

So today I'm casually driving along minding my own business when out of nowhere my whole front end starts rattling violently(I can literally feel it in the steering wheel). So I pull over and realize that it looks like the suspension on the front right side is completely frozen or something. My right front wheel has been leaning out(negative camber-like) ever since last week when I went up a curb to avoid a stupid bike rider who was illegally crossing the street. I'd been avoiding driving until today and now this happens. When I push down on the front end the right side doesn't even compress(only the left). And when I was driving home it felt as if the front right wheel was on the verge of popping right off(its rattling pretty bad). So my question is basically what does it sound like needs to be fixed/replaced? And what am I looking at money-wise? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look under car.. could be a broken a-arm, shock mount, tie rods.. any number of things can be bent/damaged/broken when you hit CURBS! (oh, its "rattling".. not "raddling")

I would jack the car up, grab the wheel and move it left/right and up/down as well to feel for unusual noises/movements.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 PM
fressssssh
Instructor

Lmao.. Thanks I'm planning on doing that tomorrow in the day so I can see how it looks down there.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea what Racer said... It could be lots of things... I hit a curb -while turning on black ice- in an old Subaru years ago, and severely bent the A-Arm!

You just have to get in there and see whats wrong, it should be fairly obvious...

Take some pics and share with us your tale. Good Luck
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

You may have bent your strut too. That would explain why it won't compress on that side. Please check everything before driving again!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

There's are a few things that can make that happen and none of them good. Don't drive until you know.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
You may have bent your strut too. That would explain why it won't compress on that side. Please check everything before driving again!
+1 If it won't compress at all the strut shaft is bent or seized. Even a broken control arm or ball joint won't usually effect vertical travel unless the strut is damaged also. Do not drive it, something is seriously wrong. I'm thinking that 944 might not be the best vehicle for you?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
+1 If it won't compress at all the strut shaft is bent or seized. Even a broken control arm or ball joint won't usually effect vertical travel unless the strut is damaged also. Do not drive it, something is seriously wrong. I'm thinking that 944 might not be the best vehicle for you?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These cast alloy hubs break easy on big potholes and especially curbs. Pull the wheel, outer bearing nut, then hub off and inspect carefully.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 AM
fressssssh
Instructor

I went under yesterday and it looks like the strut is bent. I'm going to replace that this upcoming week and see if it cures my issues. Anyone got one for sale? And I'm thinking of replacing my A-arm just for good messure. Any leads will be appreciated. And Kuhl, this car is perfect for me.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fresh, Check the wheel bearings too, they may be damaged. Too bad its not a steel arm car, those are about 25 bucks new.

Be nice Steve, the 944's front end isn't all that different from most other modern cars. Just because he isn't mr. mechanic doesn't mean he "shouldn't own" a 944. We all learned on something :P
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
...Be nice Steve, the 944's front end isn't all that different from most other modern cars. Just because he isn't mr. mechanic doesn't mean he "shouldn't own" a 944. We all learned on something :P

Sorry if that came across wrong. I'm not being cruel or saying anything about his mechanical skills. I said 'that 944' might not be the best car for him. He has had his fair share of problems with 'that' particular 944 so far, I wasn't implying anything else. He seems to need a more dependable car and from his prior posts he says the same.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
fressssssh
Instructor

I took no offense, and knew what you meant. I will respect your opinion on my car the most out of anyone on these boards, seeing as your probably the only one to have actually seen my car in person on here. Taking all that into consideration, I still feel like this is the perfect car for me in that I bought this car knowing that it would be a PITA with every thought going towards getting it working and learning along the way. So I'm just trying to use the best 944 resource that I know of to help me through the process. It will all make sense in the end. Trust me. Haha

Quick Reply: Suspension Issue... Help!