Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Ever Deal With a Sheared Oil Pan Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone Ever Deal With a Sheared Oil Pan Bolt?

I was under my car today doing some pre-inspecting for swapping my stock started with the IMI one I bought last year.

Nosing around, I found that one of the oil pan bolts was sheared off.

I cleaned the surounding area (looks like maybe a small leak, but not big enough that I've seen any drops) and noticed that, of course, the bolt is recessed with no easy way to get to it. How long are those bolts - I've read they are M6 - but no idea how long. It looks like what sheared off is the head and maybe a 1/4" of the tip.

I pushed the power steering hose out of the way and could get my Crafstman easys out in there and I got it nice and centered but it doesn't seem to want to back out. When I put a small screwdriver up there, it's almost like I can bang the bolt around a little - it won't turn, but it moves a little...hard to explain.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has ever dealt with this? Not sure I have any options besides taking it to my local Porsche shop or a machine shop - anyone who has more experience with these than I do.

*sigh* - it's always something...
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are in luck (at least in part). With the exception of two remaining bolts, I removed the bulk of the oil pan bolts to my 90S2. I'm trying to figure out how I will remove the remaining two bolts which are obstructed by the a/c compressor, but I digress. As you can see by the photo there are two different lengths. The longer ones are for the corners where the oil pan is the thickest. Hope the photo is of some help.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

yeah, fortunately it's probably the 2nd easiest one to get too - the power steering line goes right underneath it - but I can easily push it out of the way so it's up between the sway bar and the block so it's a pretty clear path to the hole. I'm guessing it probably is one of those longer bolts given it's location - not sure if that's actually good or bad. I'm sure I'm just not getting the cutter bit into the bolt deep enough...but just don't want to f it up any worse.. I 'm also leery of putting any heat from my torch on it with that rubber gasket between it - seems like it's impossible to get any heat (and I have no idea the 'state' of the bolt - with it sheared off there's no telling if it's stripped in any way). At this point, I think I would rather just pay someone that knows what they are doing to get it out than make it worse...especially since I could get away with just replacing the bolt as the leak there looks like something that would either close back up with the proper or bolt or certainly be something I could live with for awhile...
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

It's probably a lack of bite with the easy-out. Heat from a torch might prove to be iffy. Hopefully, it won't cost you too much to have it removed.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

not sheared but i have had some go missing over the years
Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
dontnow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it broke off about 1/4" from the tip; how about using a bolt ~5/16" shorter? Might that bite enough to snug it up untill time for a rebuild? Or did it break within 1/4" of the head?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

The hole is recessed in there - meaning the bolt doesn't fill up the hole from side to side. Hopefully this pic gives you an idea - hard to get a good shot under there with my big DSLR since I just have it up on ramps and not on the lift. But basically, you can see how the bolt is sheared off - not quite all the way as there appears to be a little bit of a lip - but of course, it's deep enough in the hole that there's no way to try something creative like welding a washer/nut, etc...

I think the only way to get this out is with an easy out...
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

By what I can see, an easy-out is your best bet.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

GOT IT!!

It was actually one of the shorter ones!

Can anyone confirm - is that a M6 X 25? I can't find the damn thing on Pelican - not sure of the thread pitch...last thing I want to do is strip the damn hole out at this point.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
dontnow
Pro

Congrats!!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Griffinroydonald
Advanced

Do you need a few oil pan bolts ?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

pretty sure in metric terms its an M6x1.00 pitch, and 25mm seems reasonable. maybe pull out the one next to it and see how big it is
Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

I'm good - found one at Home Depot.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Deal With a Sheared Oil Pan Bolt?