Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my Lindsey Racing Chromoly control arms safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Are my Lindsey Racing Chromoly control arms safe?

I've read several posts on this forum stating that the LR control arms are unsafe as they are using heim-joints in shear rather than in compression and tension. My car came with a brand new set of these arms, and I'm having a lot of trouble making them work with my stock ARB.

Am I wasting my time trying to make a set of unsafe arms work, or should I stick with them? I'm aiming to track my car 3-4 times a year.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a freind who built his own control arms and used heim joints and hasn't had an issue that I know of. Been running for many years as a track only car.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Sounds promising, but his heim joints might be much stronger than the ones LR uses. Is anyone here running the LR arms on a track car? If so have you ever seen them fail?

BTW Doc. I notice you are using a scissor lift. Is this something you would recommend someone with limited space?

Last edited by bebbetufs; 02-20-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
BTW Doc. I notice you are using a scissor lift. Is this something you would recommend someone with limited space?
Definitely. Obviously a 2 post is the cats meow, but some of us just don't have the space (whether it be height or width). The only thing that is tricky on a scissor lift is if you have to do a lot of work between the wheels (center of the car). Luckily for Porsche, there is not much under there at all, the only issue I have had was pulling a 951 exhaust down, I had to do that on stands, then transfer it back on the lift.

I really wanted to get a max jax, which is a mid rise 2 post, but it was just wide enough that it would have killed parking in my second stall (I would have left it permanently installed). The scissor lift was a compromise, but after using it, I am extremely happy with it. I was limited by both height and width since I have just a standard 2 car garage.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

I'm surprised people aren't responding to this question. I posted a similar question over at Pelican 6 months ago and so far Doc is the only one who has offered an opinion. Does this mean that no one are running these arms or tracking them, or should this thread be in a different forum?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I think the question is in the right place, just not a lot of folks using the control arms...

I got nothing other than to ask Lindsey about use of the factory ARB with their control arms...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at the pictures of the control arms on the site, and the design looks alright to me. The only heim joint I see is at the lower ball joint and its not mounted differently than expected. As long as its sized appropriately, which I have no idea, I don't see any reason why it'd be unsafe. With any race derived part though I would inspect them regularly.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

The reason I worry is that some members of the forum have stated (rightfully) that heim joints should never be used in single shear. They are made to take huge loads in tension and compression, but not in shear. That's why I would want to hear from someone who knows if these particular arms, with these particular heim-joints have held up to road and track use ore not. Some of the back roads i run probably put more stresses on the undercarriage and steering than track use does. Due to frost the surface rises, sinks, cracks and splits causing the car to be tossed about quite a lot. I'm probably not braking as hard as I would on track, but the braking zones are much more bumpy. On the other hand the factory arms break as well from time to time, and who knows what a rebuilt set might have gone through...

I got nothing other than to ask Lindsey about use of the factory ARB with their control arms...
I'm awaiting his reply, hopefully he has a solution.
To clarify: I'm having issues with the old and discontinued A-arms which had the drop link bracket welded longitudinally to the top of the front tube. The arms have been redesigned to correct the problem. I see no reason for the new arms to have any problems with the drop links at all as they use the stock mounting locations and method.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Also. If I end up having to get a set of stock arms do I absolutely have to get the M030 ones (1990 japanese Turbo), or can I use any late offset arm with a longer pin?

Last edited by bebbetufs; 02-23-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Today is a happy day.
FYI.
I have spoken to both 944 online and Travis at Rennbay who both said they would have no qualms running the LR control arms, and had never heard or seen that they are failure prone. They offered this advice independently and despite the fact that I was calling for information on their rebuilt arms. Both companies impressed me with their straightforward advice and willingness to help.

I'm awaiting his reply, hopefully he has a solution.
To clarify: I'm having issues with the old and discontinued A-arms which had the drop link bracket welded longitudinally to the top of the front tube. The arms have been redesigned to correct the problem. I see no reason for the new arms to have any problems with the drop links at all as they use the stock mounting locations and method.
I would also like to let anyone reading this post know that Lindsey has come through with a solution which will solve my problems permanently. Great customer support also from him.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:34 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
I have spoken to both 944 online and Travis at Rennbay who both said they would have no qualms running the LR control arms, and had never heard or seen that they are failure prone. They offered this advice independently and despite the fact that I was calling for information on their rebuilt arms. Both companies impressed me with their straightforward advice and willingness to help.
Randomly came across your post when searching for something else.

If I am remembering them correctly, they are the black chromoly tubular arms. They are now known to break. I've seen them break at the welds and fully detach from the car. After an engineer's review, it appeared several aspects of the construction were insufficient.

Only to say that I would recommend replacing them.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:14 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I Will Second French Toasts post... 2 years ago at Watkins Glen I seen an Arm Break.. Mainly at the welds. As a former Professional welder I can tell you that there was Not even close to enough filler rod on the weld joint. It looked as if they just melted the two parts together with no additional Rod. FWIW, I don't think Lindsey ever made those arms.. they are High Strung 44 arms..
Old 04-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Davito
Instructor

I have high strung, bought them about a 1 1/2 year ago, they looked pretty good quality for my untrained eyes. I do a visual inspection before every track day and so far no issues. They did improve the handling as my car was lowered and suspension geometry needed to be corrected. Will keep an eye on them and report if I have any issues.

Quick Reply: Are my Lindsey Racing Chromoly control arms safe?