Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a definitive way to bypass / disable alarm on EARLY 944?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
x2nervisx
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is there a definitive way to bypass / disable alarm on EARLY 944?

Ok i know this topic has been beaten to death however after searching for hours, I still cannot get a definitive answer if the alarm can be bypassed on an EARLY 944. Every thread that i've read through search deals with LATER 944 alarm systems. I've followed the DIY on Clarks Garage on the alarm bypass however the alarm is still functioning in my 1983 944. Once I turn the key, I can hear the alarm box / relay clicking non stop. The car does run however, but I'm having major charging problems on my car and I've read the alarm could be related to my alternator not charging. I picked up this 83 944 a few weeks ago and I don't have the key to the factory alarm.

So in summary....

Turn the key in the ignition and the alarm goes off
Car starts fine
Alternator will not charge (I have a separate thread on this)
Tried Clarks garage method and still not bypassing alarm.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:45 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with factory alarm, but I'm almost certain the alarm doesn't prevent battery from charging. Would be the stupidest anti theft system ever.

It's either battery, alternator, grounds, or cables.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory alarm is controlled by the keyswitch just behind the driver's door. Unless someone's messed with it, vertical is disarmed, horizontal is armed.
You can completely bypass the keyswitch very easilly- remove the vent in the door jam, reach in and disconnect the wires from the back of the switch, and connect the ends together. Closed circuit=disarmed.
This assumes everything else in the system is unmodified and working correctly.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The alarm disables the DME relay and grounds the field lead on the alternator to stop the battery from charging.

Some questions. Did you pull the alarm box off the connector (and leave it off) then jumper it? Does the dash alternator light come on after you start the car? Are you dead sure you put the jumpers on the correct pins?

If the car starts, the DME relay has to be working correctly.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
The alarm disables the DME relay and grounds the field lead on the alternator to stop the battery from charging.

Some questions. Did you pull the alarm box off the connector (and leave it off) then jumper it? Does the dash alternator light come on after you start the car? Are you dead sure you put the jumpers on the correct pins?

Wow, maybe I'm amazed. What's the logic behind grounding the alternator as an anti-theft as opposed to cutting the fuel? Sounds really stupid to me...
Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 AM
x2nervisx
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick

Ok so now I know why my car wasn't charging the battery the whole time. As far as the alarm module, I left the brain connected after I jumped the pins on the harness. I left it that way only cause I saw the brain stil connected in the DIY pics on Clarks garage. Am I supposed to leave it disconnected? Cause when I had it connected with the jumpers, the module was still clicking when I turned the car on. I assumed it wouldn't do that anymore with the jumpers.

Last edited by x2nervisx; 02-18-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 AM
x2nervisx
Racer

Oh and followed the instructions on clarks. Pins 1 and 4 (green and black wires) and pins 7 and 8 (brown/red and brown/black). The alternator light was actually off after I did the jumpers but it was actually barely dim.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, remove the module since it servers no purpose anymore. My experience with clicking relay was it is due to a low battery charge. Try giving the battery a charge and see what happens. You may have to run it a bit at higher RPM to get everything working correctly if the battery is pulling a large charge current. If the light is still on, put the alarm in without jumpers and see if it goes out.

If the light is still on with the alarm module in, you need to check the charging system. Any auto supply place (autozone types) will have a battery alt tester that they hook up for free. If the alt is bad, try replacing the little regulator board attached to the alt before buying a new alternator. The bypass jumpers will not harm the alt following Clarks instructions.

You can bypass the DME relay (cut injectors, DME and fuel) in a minute if you can pop the hood. Getting to the alt field wire takes a bit of effort since it is inside the alt cover on the back of the alternator. You will not get far without the alt working.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 02-18-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 AM
x2nervisx
Racer

Ok I briefly tried starting the car today with the jumpers installed and the alarm box removed. Car started up fine but still not getting any charge from the alternator and my battery light is on the whole time. This is the 3rd alternator I put in and a new voltage regulator so it can't be the alternator itself. Alternator tested good at pep boys on their bench test.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you located? Maybe there is someone locally to you that could give you a hand and try and help figure it out
Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 PM
x2nervisx
Racer

Im in long island ny.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take the field lead off of the alternator. Turn ignition on and is the light on? If it is, you have a ground somewhere on you field wire that shouldn't be there.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
x2nervisx
Racer

That's the smaller guage blue wire on the alternator cOrrect?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, that is the one.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM
x2nervisx
Racer

ok I started the car and the battery light was on. I took the blue thin gauge wire off the alternator while it was running and I looked at my dash and the battery light was still on. So now I guess there's a ground somewhere in the line? Or could it still be the alarm?

Quick Reply: Is there a definitive way to bypass / disable alarm on EARLY 944?