Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 Charging Problem... Alternator is good! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joes
The alternator has to have a "tickle" from some source to start charging or to better say turn it on. There should be one of the wires that has power on when the key is on/ no power when key is off.By looking at the diagrams it's D+
I believe you are correct. The fact the "Alternator" light is on indicates the alternator is not putting out anything, but there is power on the blue D+ system in the dashboard. Something is interrupting it between the dash and the alternator, so the alarm seems pretty suspect.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 AM
x2nervisx
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally think in getting to the bottom of my charging problem. In my other thread regarding the alarm, another poster said the alarm grounds that blue exciter wire when it's tripped. But since I've been trying to start my car several times with no luck lately, I think I broke the starter since it won't turn the engine over anymore even with a fully charged battery. It now just clicks once. Looks like I'll have to replace the starter and see if bypassing the alarm works.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Yarf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the heavy cable that connects the plus terminal of the battery to the starter for internal corrosion (high resistance).
Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 AM
x2nervisx
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well thanks to a fellow board member here, I finally solved my alternator not working problem. I noticed that my alternator light would not go off even with the blue exciter wire disconnected from the alternator. It was suggested that I run a new wire from pin 11 (same solid blue wire to the alternator) from the back of the left most gauge cluster. I cut that wire from the harness and noticed the alternator light went off. I ran a new wire from pin 11 to the alternator and voila! Im finally getting 13.9 volts at the battery. Looks like I'm not going to have to scrap the car after all. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 PM
rraulston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I have this same issue. The blue wire on the back of the alternator has to be excited. Use a jumper wire from the POS terminal of your bat and touch the blue wire terminal. The ALT will start charging. I spent 4 hours on this today. I dont know why i am not self exciting the ALT so now I have a switch I flip and give it 12v to kick it in. I only have to do this once per cycle. dunno WTF is wrong but it sucks....I wish I knew where the blue wire went. I followed it to a connector which it changed to blue w/white stripe then it goes into the back of the fuse box and dissapears......
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 AM
rraulston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a pic of what you did??? My ALT lite does NOT come on when the alt is NOT charging...

Quick Reply: Early 944 Charging Problem... Alternator is good! Need Help!