Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Online paint source?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Online paint source?

What is a good online paint source that truly matches Porsche factory colors?

Specifically, Copenhagen blue LY 5B .

Anybody here sprayed this color themselves? If so, how difficult is it to work with? Toxic or relatively safe?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 AM
max_boost951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paintscratch.com
http://www.paintscratch.com
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 AM
supes6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you trying to paint? the best thing to do is find a local place that sells automotive paint and buy it from there. usually the more expensive paints will be a better color match..
Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had good luck with Paintscratch.com as well, at least for Guards Red.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dash01
If so, how difficult is it to work with? Toxic or relatively safe?
This depends greatly on the type of paint used (waterbourne or solventbourne) but either is not very healthy for you, a respirator is a minimum requirement for using these.

A local UAP or CMAX type automotive store sells different brands of refinish "systems" and can provide you with everything you need to make it work.

As for colour match, it is all up to you. I've demonstrated this with people who say a can of colour doesn't match the car, and I will take the same gun with the same paint in it, (for example take a gold colour) and make it look almost silver, then the gold, and then a dark brown on three different panels. If you are going to try it yourself, try spraying some test panels to check your gun settings to get them and your technique dialed in to get the colour you want.
Most paints come with simple instructions, and if you follow them, you will get decent results...don't follow them, and you may not get the results you want.

good luck!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Paintscratch's prices are insane...especially if you're buying more than a spray can. There are several other online retailers that sell the same product, for much less $$.

I am another + for a local paint shop. Not only will they supply you with the correct color, or product (There is a LOT more to paint that just the color) for our cars, but they will also give you great technical support.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by supes6
what are you trying to paint? the best thing to do is find a local place that sells automotive paint and buy it from there. usually the more expensive paints will be a better color match..

Idea is to paint front fenders, header panel, bumper cover, and headlight covers in the original Cobenhabenblau. Front end got dinged, no structural damage, but it's cheaper to get a used fender or headlight cover than buy new. Much of the nose was already sandblasted and rock chipped anyway, so after painting I may spray on an overlay of clear Chipguard or similar to prevent further sandblasting.

I prefer to do this in a spray booth with the parts laid horizontally so paint won't run, then bolt on to the car.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you planning to blend any of the adjacent panels? I don't see how you'd get an adequate color match without blending the doors if you color change the front fenders.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KLR
Were you planning to blend any of the adjacent panels? I don't see how you'd get an adequate color match without blending the doors if you color change the front fenders.

Blending is always the problem, so may compound/polish the door panels to get down to virgin, unoxidized paint, have local paint shop match that, then spray. All original color.

OEM German paint is quite good. On the BMW forums was a guy who used Porter Cable random orbital polisher and some good prep and finishing compounds, and after application some 20 year old cars look literally like new.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

I need to repaint the hood on my Audi and the local paint dealer only has a formula for it in 2-part. I was going to try carpaintonline.com instead. $35/qt or $22 for a 12 oz spray can. That seems like a lot for a spray can, I think I pay a lot less locally for spray cans but the cost per quart is not bad considering this is metallic and pearl.

They have several paint formulas also.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Online paint source?