Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor change-out

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002 | 10:32 PM
Bill Elwell
Track Day

Post A/C Compressor change-out

I've read through all the posts about changing a compressor and I'm about 75% through replacing mine and changing over to R134. Here are a few of my comments - take a minute and give my your thoughts on a few of them:

#1 - You guys make changing a compressor sound much easier than it is. I have the car on jack stands and getting a wrench on the bolts that hold the compressor in place is a BEAR! Would have been easier with the alternator cooling duct completely removed but I couldn't figure that one out easily.

#2 - There was some sort of thread locker on the bolts that held the hoses in place. This made getting these two bolts out VERY difficult. Had to use a breaker bar to turn the bolts.

#3 - Once you get the old compressor out, putting the new one back is quite a challenge. At least you guys warned my about this and I started out by using a jack stand to lift the compressor as I maneuvered it into place. Still wasn't easy.

I'm guessing my total time to R&R the compressor was around 5 hours (one guy said he had the whole job done in 2.5 hours with no air tools. I'd love to see him work).

#4 - The O-rings in the system don't seem to be O-rings like any I have seen before. They seem to have a strange, other than round, cross section. The parts guys I have shown them to look at me funny.

#5 - Previous posts have pointed out that the valve next to the top of the drivers side shock tower is the high side valve. The r-134 retrofit valves don't fit over Porsche's high side valve.

And finally

#6 - After reading the previous threads, I was ready to take my car to a shop and have the shop hook it to a vacuum pump for an hour, pay them, take it home, and fill it myself. I've got a guage set and an oil injector. NOPE! Every shop I talked with refused to just hook the system to the vacuum pump. They all want to do a pressure test and fill the system. Oh well.

Any comments?

Bill
Old 11-18-2002 | 12:02 PM
Pilot Dave
Advanced

I'm in the middle of an AC retrofit too. I have all the pieces and need some time to turn wrenches.

I was also thinking about having a shop vacuum it and me filling it. Problem being if it does have a leak, I would have to fix the leak and pay them again to vacuum it. I think it would be easier to have a shop do the whole thing or cheaper to buy a vacuum pump. Two types of pumps I've seen 1-the cheaper one ($60) that you hook up to an air compressor and an expensive one ($250) that has its own pump.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor change-out