Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken timing belt - what is the realistic value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken timing belt - what is the realistic value?

I was driving along and lost power, thought it was the fuel pump or relay but it was a broken timing belt. I don't want to fix it as it most likely has a bent valve, water pump was leaking, and clutch needs replacing soon. I do not want to part it out either as I do not have the time or patience.

The only mods are:
MSDS ceramic coated headers (have 2 sets of stock headers and an extra cat)
Short shifter (have stock one in a box)
Corbeau seats (have stock ones would prefer to sell with stock ones and use these somewhere else, stock driver seat has tears on the bottom)
Stereo (will remove subs and amp, door panels are custom cut for components)
17x9 rear 17x7.5 front wheels (rear tires are worn, 2 wheels could be repainted)
Momo steering wheel
aluminum pedals

I also have a never installed fiberwerks front bumper.

I have 3 mahle oil filters. The bumber and oil filters could be sold separably.

Car is located in California and has about 180-200k on the odometer (was broken when I got the car but I fixed it).

What do you think I could get for it as is?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

$500
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 PM
elzergone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like that car

Where is it in Cali?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah, where in cali? i might actually be interested in wheels+tires if there is good tread and steering wheel. DIBS!

maybe you can take off all the valuable parts (ie wheels) and then sell the car to the state. IIRC, you can get $1000 if it's old enough. but it might have to be running. just an idea.

sorry about your loss.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you've been here a long time. this car seems an odd bird — treated so well from the accessory barn. even wheel spacers to go along with turbo-twist wheels, aftermarket steering wheel and shift ****, and nice stereo — but, then, the timing system neglected, and letting accessories fail as well ? you've got a dead, lacquer checked Guard's Red crust, undesirable dash from the middle ages that won't throw much air, and an engine that no longer runs..... almost sounds like you got somebody's handmedown car and it gave you a cheap thrill just in time to add a few "goodies...." but, we know this isn't the case. you joined Rennlist 9 years ago. without breaking the bank, and for just the cost of a respray and timing system update, this car would be looking and great.... accessories "rich" and well cared for "poor," down to not running at all, leaves me incredulous.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odurandina
you've been here a long time. this car seems an odd bird — treated so well from the accessory barn. even wheel spacers to go along with turbo-twist whees, aftermarket steering wheel and shift ****, and nice stereo — but, then, the timing system neglected, and letting accessories fail as well ? you've got a dead, lacquer checked Guard's Red crust, undesirable dash from the middle ages that won't throw much air, and an engine that no longer runs..... almost sounds like you got somebody's handmedown car and it gave you a cheap thrill just in time to add a few "goodies...." but, we know this isn't the case. you joined Rennlist 9 years ago.... accessories "rich" and well cared for "poor," leaves me somewhat incredulous.

lol odur, i always see that you mention a lack of cold air from the old dash's. lol again.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

hell, the dash in the newer cars doesn't suck as bad, but the fans are not very good....

which brings us to our next upgrade; nuclear powered fans to blow through the latter dash.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Unfortunately without a running engine these things are parts value or boat anchors. As is I'd say $800 tops.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

odu the nice thing on the early dash is that its nice and straightfoward. simple and functional like the 944 should be. very easy to take apart if something does go wrong.

my AC doesnt go out of commission due to a 'snowflake' switch, i have a beefy **** from 1976 to twist. (thats what she said)

red, i have to ask - what's the missile-arming switch on the console for?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bonus12
yeah, where in cali? i might actually be interested in wheels+tires if there is good tread and steering wheel. DIBS!

maybe you can take off all the valuable parts (ie wheels) and then sell the car to the state. IIRC, you can get $1000 if it's old enough. but it might have to be running. just an idea.

sorry about your loss.
Norcal - rears would need new tires (255/45) Fronts have probably 60-70%

I am not too sorry, the car worked great for a daily driver for 10 years. Contrary to idiot mentality the car has not been neglected and only accessorized, the belts were done 25k miles ago (maybe I just got a lemon of a belt). Shocks a few years ago. Compressor a few years ago along with alternator and motor mounts. Sunroof and door seals are new this year, etc..

There comes a time when its time to move on and part ways. It would be easier, cheaper and less hassle to just sell for parts rather than repair everything.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 PM
kenkawai993
Instructor

since you do not want to part it, sell it as is with everything included in the deal. eBay it, you will probably get sub $1000 price offers....

BUT if you fix the issues stated (timing belt, valve, belts, seals, waterpump, clutch) you can have your car back and running for a longer time, or can resell it and make $3000.

im sure there are some rennlist members here that can help you out in norcal.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 PM
running_cold924
Racer

I'd fix it and drive it....because i hate car payments.....
Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

yes, fix it. way better than going out and getting a new ride. my sincere apologies for being a total ***....

ac or not (you could be from La Jolla), i should have asked first instead of running off without the facts.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kenkawai993
since you do not want to part it, sell it as is with everything included in the deal. eBay it, you will probably get sub $1000 price offers....

BUT if you fix the issues stated (timing belt, valve, belts, seals, waterpump, clutch) you can have your car back and running for a longer time, or can resell it and make $3000.

im sure there are some rennlist members here that can help you out in norcal.
So.. let me get this straight... fix it for 1500 - 2000 to make 2000 more than it can potentially sell for as is?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

^^ what JOKA said...it's totaled.

D:

hey, is that center console compartment (with the door) in good condition? i would definitely be ready to buy that now if it is.
how much for wheels if i came and picked them up? just curious at this point.
maybe you can PM me the zip code... but i gotta know if they are early or late and if they will fit an '86 turbo without spacers.
my phones need new tires anyway so now is a good time to switch i suppose.

Quick Reply: Broken timing belt - what is the realistic value?