Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left/Right wheel well speaker box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left/Right wheel well speaker box?

I'm looking for some ideas to add a bit more bass to my sound system. I had a bazooka style sub just behind the rear seats, but the convertable top would rest on it when it was in the down position and would mark/dent the rear window.
I built a small low profile speaker box that was slim enough that the roof would not rest on it, but it doesn't sound all that great due to the small size.
I understand that my situation is a bit different due to dealing with a convertable top, but my question is has anyone placed a small sub in either the left or right rear wheel wells? It looks like I could place a small box down in the well, or make somekind of cover that I can mount the speaker to, and use the whole wheel well as a box. I am concerned that the later may not sound good if it makes the metal vibrate too much etc.

Anyone have a pic of one? I'm not looking for huge bass, nor super high quality sound. (ever hear how noisy a convertable is even with the top up?) I also have next to zero room in the trunk for a box (except where the roof drops down into) as I have a removeable targa style top that stores in the trunk. (two piece custom convertable)

BTW I am not new to building my own stereo setups, but I am with this car.
86 944 n/a

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
hopps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KLA industries had a sub box. I don't have one, but it seems likes its made well. If anything it looks easy to make. Just some MDF and whatever electronics. Just go to www.klaindustries.net
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the link.

I've been reading through some older posts with various setups. I didn't see any long term wrap ups to see how they performed over the long term. It does sound like you can make large improvements quickly.

I still have the original carpet in the rear, and it is in fairly good condition except where the snaps are for it to cover the spare tire, along the lower trunk seal. I'm thinking of pulling it out and maybe starting fresh, and incorporate a small sub to give it a more factory kind of look.

I also saw some interesting speaker placements in the rear passenger seat area (in the panels just behind the doors) I'm looking for some pictures of what the metal looks like underneath those panels. Are there speaker cutouts there for all 944's? Then it would just be a matter of making custom panel covers.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This migth help!!!

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
carbogecko
Intermediate

Location: san diego ca. '86 944T metallic grey ps3 name carbon_gecko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ernie those photos are awesome i actually am working out where to put my sub enclosure as well i did the rear seat replacement but it turned out heavy as hell, then i tried a simple box in the hatch area but it moved around to much so i ended up and made it fit in the space behind the driver seat and the rear seats
Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

very nice stuff.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

ernie, those pictures scream "STEAL ME"
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They scream "too much weight in the worst possible locaton". A quality set of components in the doors are all that is needed in these cars. A powered sub (bazooka) cleverly hidden in a duffle bag and easily removed is more than enough.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It all goes in the wheelwell and hidden under the carpet, who needs a spare LOL....

Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

i also wanted to keep all the cargo space i had in the back of my car after doing my seat delete...... but, it was demonstrated to me that running any combinations of 8" or 10" mid bass drivers or subwoofers in the rear corners of my car probably would not result in producing very high sound pressure levels without suffering a lot of interference.... that is to say, the result would likely see some pretty bad "holes" across a significant part of the audio band. three different installers all had the same opinion, (especially if i went with a pair of subs back there.... that properly angling two drivers not to be fighting each other would take a lot of trial and error, and might even prove next to impossible.

so, i was convinced to try 1 10" duel-coil subwoofer first, (in effect combining both left and right bass waves into 1) as "this" would almost surely have just the opposite effect, with the shape of the rear corner of the car working in harmony with a single, point-source sub cab to create a very strong bass wave.... and see how that turned out.... well, that's exactly what happened... i was so blown away with the result, that i stayed running just the 1 removable sub... at that point, it was just a matter of stuffing the biggest, beefiest midbass and mid-range drivers money can buy into and behind the doors and getting good power installed in the car.... i showed my system to JDS the other day. i think he liked it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...h-top-end.html

Ernie's system looks pretty loud and those subs are in a proper enclosure. anyway, i think we needs to have a shoot out.

i'm still trying to source a new, oddball, 968, center carpet, but it appears, nobody makes one.

Attached Images    

Last edited by odurandina; 01-21-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Not bad I like some of the setups in here. I have an 8" sub ready for a KLA sub box. I would love to just make my own I'm sure it would be cheaper, but theirs are proven to work.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to go simple and just aim for a single small sub (8") and make a box similar to a KLA box. I am not a pro, but I have 10-12 speaker boxes under my belt, but were primarily built for larger hatchback and large domestic car trunk setups. I already have a 2ch MTX amp in the rear, but it would not be hard to put in a 4channel and do a bridge to a single sub. I am now looking at adding my two rear speakers (6.5") from my custom box, and trying to fit them in the rear seat side panels. I'll have to pull off the panel and have a good look. I did find some pics of stripped out interiors, and it looks like a hole for a speaker is present in all 944's in that area, so I will take a chance and pull it apart to be sure I can fit my speakers there.
Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

go listen to some boxes. it will probably be shown as obvious that you'll end up with much fuller sound even by running a single 10" woofer in a good box w/ sliding mount back there. (for easy removal). you'll be very happy with the result.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have 8" bazookas with Fosgate subs installed back there, sounded great, tight bass and still plenty of room for groceries. Heck if someone wants them, I'll let them go for a bill....or 87 turbo spindle/s.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

post a pic of the boot? not familiar with the cabs

Quick Reply: Left/Right wheel well speaker box?