Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

climate control censor

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 06:50 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post climate control censor

i have an 86 944 na. did they all come with climate control standard?because i am missing the sensor that is supposed to be in the dash...could it be that someone just took it out or does my car have no climate control?is it hard fix?
Old 04-30-2002, 07:29 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Andre, AFAIK, all the post- '85.5 US-spec models had the automatic climate control; at least, I've not seen one without. I'd guess that one without had to be a special order, option delete. Do you have A/C?

When you say you're missing the sensor, do you mean just the little wire-bead RTD? Or the whole little fan assembly & accordian hose is gone? Or that there isn't & never was a hole & grille in the dash for the air flow to the sensor?

Jim, time to go pound the treadmill for a while & surf usenet...
Old 04-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

i do have ac but it does not work. There is a whole in that thign next to the lighter but there is no sensor there. I am not sure where the actual climate control stuff is so i cannot check if i have the other stuff.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:12 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There should be a grille in the hole next to the lighter. If you crawl under the dash (or pull the glove compartment box out) you should find a black accordian- pleated rubber tube connected to the grill, running along the left side of the glovebox, leading toward the front of the car. At the front end of the tube, there should be a cylindrical black plastic housing about the size of a small flashlight. This is the fan that pulls a sample of cabin air thru the grille & tube across the sensor.

IIRC, the actual sensor is mounted in the end of the fan housing where the tube attaches. From memory (it's been a while), the sensor is a tiny bead, pin-head size, at the end of two short bare wires, surrounded by a plastic ring.

If the sensor & fan are missing, this is at least part of why your A/C's not working... it's one of the inputs for the brain that controls the CC system. Dunno what the default mode for "no continuity" would be on that circuit....

Jim, gone to play silly homeowner games in the yard...
Old 04-30-2002, 08:51 PM
TomH
Pro

You're probably not missing the sensor, just the vented cover that covers the hole. Find Max on this board, he has a couple of climate control units I'm sure he'd be willing to sell you. He bought one looking to replace some of his buttons that had faded, and then picked up another last week at the Hershey swap meet for a good price.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:01 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

ok i am not missing the entire climate control thing, the one with the buttons on it. My heat works, my fan for the cabin works but there is no tube behind that hole in the grill. I thought that the sensor was there, i will check if i have that fan assembly behind the glovebox. I also picked up a climate control unit for the buttons at hershey for 5 bucks...pretty funny..one guy tried to sell it to me for 100, another for 50 and finaly i found one in a bin of parts and the lady asked 5 for it.

Quick Reply: climate control censor