Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake cooling vents

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003 | 09:13 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Post Brake cooling vents

Last night, after some rather spirited driving, I found that my brkes got so hot that I had the peddle almost to the floor before I stopped. I don't think that it's air or watter in my lines because I bled the system bout a month ago and replaced fluid with ATE Super Blue. I was thinking, why not fabricate some cooling ducts for the brakes? It doesn't seem TOO difficult and would improve cooling. Anybody done this? Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2003 | 09:18 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

For about $100 you can buy 968 brake ducts that attach to the a-arms. They work great on my race car!

944turbo
Old 05-15-2003 | 10:46 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Do you have a pic of the 968 ducts? Thanks
Old 05-15-2003 | 12:06 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

You might want to think about a cooling kit like this: <a href="http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/home.asp?categ=21" target="_blank">http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/home.asp?categ=21</a>

which directs the airflow to the inside of the rotor and presumably out the the rotor vents.

I have heard people complain about the standard OG kit vent hose being too short and easily damaged. They then replace with higher quality hose.
Old 05-15-2003 | 12:16 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

I first bought the OG racing kit and used my own high quality hoses. They got dirt and water in them, got in the way when dealing with anything near the front of the car, and got kinked up from time to time. I switched to the 968 ducts ... just take a look at any 968. I do not have a picture .. sorry. They work great! Also to fit them to a 951 .. I think there is an adapter ... Crygenics (sp?) sells the kit to fit on the 951 a-arms.

944turbo
Old 05-15-2003 | 12:31 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Those brakes shouldn't give up the ghost from spirited driving. My stock brakes are fine at the track, repeated hard braking from 100+. I would suspect some challenge in the system that may need correcting.
Old 05-15-2003 | 12:48 PM
Rod in Orlando
Intermediate

Ditto on Dave's response. Extremely hard driving might result in lack of stopping power and some spongyness in the pedal from gas buildup between the pad and rotor. If you pedal went to the floor, you have a fluid or master cylinder problem. My guess is that you blew the master cylinder by depressing the pedal farther than normal and ruined a seal by hitting a corroded portion of the cylinder.
Old 05-15-2003 | 01:16 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Rod in Orlando:
<strong>Ditto on Dave's response. Extremely hard driving might result in lack of stopping power and some spongyness in the pedal from gas buildup between the pad and rotor. If you pedal went to the floor, you have a fluid or master cylinder problem. My guess is that you blew the master cylinder by depressing the pedal farther than normal and ruined a seal by hitting a corroded portion of the cylinder.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">A little bit of exageration. It didn't go to the floor but it was very spongy. Once I let the brakes cool, feel was back to normal.
Old 05-15-2003 | 04:21 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

bump
Old 05-15-2003 | 04:59 PM
M758
Race Director

You can remove the fog lights and make-up some 3" felxible hose to dump air into the brakes. I did this for my race car and they work great. Cost is low, but you need to be a little creative to make it work and your car will look different from the front.
Old 05-15-2003 | 05:35 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by M758:
<strong>You can remove the fog lights and make-up some 3" felxible hose to dump air into the brakes. I did this for my race car and they work great. Cost is low, but you need to be a little creative to make it work and your car will look different from the front.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I sorta want to kep my fogs. I was thinking that i could use a wide vacuum nozzle type shape. Thin and long and have that connect to the ducting.
Old 05-15-2003 | 08:18 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

bump again
Old 05-15-2003 | 08:47 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jabbadeznuts:
<strong>What's the most powerful part on a Porsche? Its not the engine, its the brakes.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">It might be time for a new sig.

You might want to try SS lines. I went to SS lines at the same time I switched to Motul 600 from whatever the PO had, so I can't be sure which it was (probably a bit of both), but before it was spongy and faded during a day of autoX, and now it feels great.
Old 05-15-2003 | 09:05 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Once again take a look at the 968 brake ducts. They are much better then the duct and pipe method. But it sounds like you have other brake problems. No matter how spirited your street driving was ... your brakes should not fade. Something else is wrong. SS brake lines may do the trick .. but it sounds like there is a deeper problem. It does not sound like it is a cooling problem .... dont Fuc^%^ around with brakes.

944turbo
Old 05-15-2003 | 09:14 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ag951:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jabbadeznuts:
<strong>What's the most powerful part on a Porsche? Its not the engine, its the brakes.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">It might be time for a new sig.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">DOH!!

Quick Reply: Brake cooling vents