Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche classic radio navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

cool but not useful in an early, the radio is too low and out of sight
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I couldn't find anything about it being available in the US. I'm not sure it would look right in the 944/951 either. But my biggest worry is how long they'll support it before map updates are no longer available. Those of us with Becker Traffic Pros will remember that problem - we haven't had a map update since 2003.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the idea, they should make two versions one for those who have cars from the 70’s and earlier and those with cars from the 80’s and earlier. These look great in a 70’s or older car but ***** (ha *****, what a blast to the past word) in our 80’s and new cars just is not that fitting to the style if you ask me.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru
Yep, about the stupidest thing that you can buy is a builtin GPS system. There are standalone systems that you can move from one car to another and get free updates to the maps for about $100. When you sell your Porsche, you get to keep it.
I disagree. Actually, about the stupidest thing you can buy is a portable gps system. Wires to the lighter for charging - something stuck to your windshield blocking your view - no integration with your stereo so turning up the music means missing your voice prompts - looking like a vagabond as you move it from car to car. Just do it right and put a real gps system in your car if you need it.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedevil
Love the idea, they should make two versions one for those who have cars from the 70’s and earlier and those with cars from the 80’s and earlier
Exactly what I was thinking. I love this but it looks pretty old-school for our cars.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Did anyone buy this for the USA and get the maps working?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not that expensive actually...590 pounds si about 700 eur or $930.
You pay more than 200-250 eur for a nav with shaky and ****ty looking windscreen suckup thingie.
This is a bolt on PORSCHE system that keeps your car looking great while having a nav system.
When i'm done with the other stuff on the car, i'm buying one !
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
I disagree. Actually, about the stupidest thing you can buy is a portable gps system.
So let's talk about it. I've used a GPS for the past 6yrs.
Wires to the lighter for charging
Only when you need to charge it... batteries last a few hours if you maintain them.
something stuck to your windshield blocking your view
Not really, that's a 4.5-7" screen that you can point towards you so you can see it close to your line of sight. And if it's in your way... just shift your head a little and you can see right past it.
no integration with your stereo so turning up the music means missing your voice prompts
You shouldn't rely on voice prompts alone. Take a look at your screen and monitor the distance until your next turn. By that time your GPS should start to zoom in and show you when you should turn visually.
looking like a vagabond as you move it from car to car.
No, you just have a GPS system that doesn't change with every other car make/model. It's pretty frustrating if you're using a different car every 4-5mo and each one has a different GPS interface. If you use your phone and have a good/unlimited data plan, you can use your music through it AND the voice prompts will overtake your music so you can hear it.

But I certainly wouldn't get the GPS that's in this thread.
1. It's not visible in any way while I'm driving.
2. Entering a way-point is probably a huge pain (lack of number pad or like interface.)
3. Screen is in a fixed position.

Nah man, I'll stick to my TomTom and AndroidOS phone.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 PM
irule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have this radio.

anyone know if Porsche plans to support Apple CarPlay in it? Would be awesome, because the native software is very bad
Old 02-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I have becker portable navigation with windows ce on it. I uploaded igo8 and it works flawless with free maps. That said, I havent bothered to upload new maps on it for few years now..

Quick Reply: Porsche classic radio navigation system