Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bret Michaels talks about his 944 on Top Gear..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Top Gear blows anyway so who cares

i'm writing this from the Uno Restaurant, Daytona, Fl... not a cloud in the sky, windy, about 54 degrees.... is the 24 hours of Daytona cool ? yes it is.... is the Daytona 500 cool ? yes......... is racing cool ? yes it IS.... (though TOP GEAR IS often pretty damn good), want to know why i'm PAST just beginning to think the show has turned about 80 % GAY ?? is it becuase half of what they do on the show is GAY ??? ummm yeah, sure.... more than half --- like 80~90 %.

but that's not the only reason why i think Top Gear is GAY... it isn't just becuase these buttheads do dozens of stupid things.... like drive down to the SOUTH of the United States and make complete asses out of themselves. you know, the part of the country where everyone joins the Army and the Marines so they can go fight all the wars so lazy Europeans can eat cheesecake, drink wine and boast about how great they are.... they run this show for years, and then refuse to show any respect whatsoever for people in the united states, our cars, acknowledge the "league," or the Great American Race.... THE DAYTONA F_CKING 500 --- a bad-***, hybrid mix of musclecar and production car wrapped into one... loads of fun....

you can bring your kid, and watch him fall in love with cars....... (yes, the excitement is down a bit since they introduced the 'car of tomorrow' designed in great part, to save lives), but frankly, who cares ??..... seeing or hearing about anyone dying inside a racecar is tragic.....

think about it..... i'm not sayin' you're all hereby, ordered to watch NASCAR every week all year long, or even go see a stinking race... but, try yourselves one thing this next go-round.... tune in to the second hour of the Daytona 500 and then, watch ALL of the Talledega 500...... (Talledega stands for 'holy f_ckin' crap')......

you think Jeremy Clarkson and the rest of the crew could jump off a boring, wet slippery road in Scotland but the 80th time and come down, and spend an hour or two in Talledega ? i mean, they sure as hell go to all these other stupid places so long as it's not america... and while there is a bit too much of the "white trash hic" element for me to deal with on a weekly basis, the Great American Race and Talladega events will always be some kind of KOOL for me. low-tech carburated V8 muscle, a roll cage, and some sheet metal, spectacular crashes and usually nobody getting killed..... and then, all these assbags on Top Gear can do is rag on everything american.

the first good V8 engine wasn't ever built in Europe until Porsche came out with the Cayenne.
but now all the flagship eurocars are offered with them.

but, we had it going on right here since the early '80s after what basically amounts to aircraft spec parts

were introduced for the american small block engine aftermarket....

back to the Cayenne.... a modified version of that F_CKING thing won the 24 hours of Daytona last year. yeah like a Goodwrench engine is some piece of stupid or something. sure, kudos to Porsche but, the only difference between this and Nascar ?? try a few twists of sheet metal and fuel injection. give me a f_cking break..... i like these guys. but are they f_cking pretentious ******** ? f_cking worthless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZOltYjYk4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnYk4Hfzs_c

expanded....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbAb9O_H1MU

Last edited by odurandina; 01-12-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you don't know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by odurandina
but that's not the only reason why i think Top Gear is GAY... it isn't just becuase these buttheads do dozens of stupid things.... like drive down to the SOUTH of the United States and make complete asses out of themselves. you know, the part of the country where everyone joins the Army and the Marines so they can go fight all the wars so lazy Europeans can eat cheesecake, drink wine and boast about how great they are.... they run this show for years, and then refuse to show any respect whatsoever for people in the united states, our cars, acknowledge the "league," or the Great American Race.... THE DAYTONA F_CKING 500 --- a bad-***, hybrid mix of musclecar and production car wrapped into 1..... loads of fun.... where you can bring your kid, and watch him fall in love with cars....... (yes, the excitement is down a bit since they introduced the 'car of america' designed in great part, to save lives), but frankly, who cares ??..... seeing or hearing about anyone dying inside a racecar is tragic.....

think about it..... i'm not sayin' you're all hearby ordered to watch NASCAR every week, year after year, or even go see a stinking race... but, do yourselves on thing this year.... tune in to the second hour of the Daytona 500 and then, watch the Talledega 500...... (Talledega stands for 'holy f_ckin' crap)...... and while there is a bit too much of the "white trash hic" element for me to deal with on a weekly basis, the Great American Race and Talladega events will always be some kind of KOOL for me. low-tech carburated V8 muscle, a roll cage, and some sheet metal, spectacular crashes and usually nobody getting killed..... and then, all these assbags on Top Gear can do is rag on everything american.
This is simply not true... They do poke fun at us, but it is jokingly and in good spirits, if you can't see that and get butthurt, that's your problem. Besides they rag on plenty of people and country's besides the United States. Also NASCAR is way less interesting than most European racing... And to top it off Top Gear just did a NASCAR episode where they came back to the south and had nothing but good things to say about stock car racing or the US... They went over the history of it, drove on an old NASCAR track, raced at VIR and talked about how great it was. The other US episode with the ZR1 the CTSv and the Challenger was pretty pro US aslo...

They have had American cars that they liked on the show, and the ones they dont... Its usually for a legitimate reason.

And you are sitting here talking about lazy, cheesecake eating, wine drinking Europeans... Exactly the way the top gear guys make fun of us. Only they do it in a good spirited way because its funny. and remember, you are driving a car designed and build by those same lazy Europeans

Originally Posted by odurandina
the first good V8 engine wasn't ever built in Europe until Porsche came out with the Cayenne.
but now all the flagship eurocars are offered with them.

back to the Cayenne.... a modified version of that F_CKING thing won the 24 hours of Daytona last year. yeah like a Goodwrench engine is some piece of stupid or something. sure, kudos to Porsche but, the only difference between this and Nascar ?? try a few twists of sheet metal and fuel injection. give me a f_cking break..... i like these guys. but are they f_cking pretentious ******** ? f_cking worthless.
Please tell me you are joking! I think a lot of 928, Ferarri, Maserati, BMW, Lamborghini and Mercedes owners would disagree about that V8 statement

Also... you know all of top gear is scripted and staged right?

Was Bret Michales on the US top gear? I just cant bring myself to watch it... I cant imagine it even hold a candle to the original show (even if the past few seasons have been pretty lame overall)
Old 01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
kenkawai993
Instructor

This Bret Michaels interview aired on "Top Gear USA" not the original UK top gear. But I do remember the episode OD is talking about, where they buy American cars and drive to new Orleans and on the way they write stuff on their cars that are offensive to the locals. That was top gear UK who did it, not top gear USA. 2 different shows in my opinion.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

anyway, that's far from being the only episode that rubbed me and the history of American cars the wrong way.

i realize our automakers fully deserve much of the bashing... and true, there have been plenty of good Benz engines. that's quite true. 928 is okay minus the thrust bearing issues from the automatics.

hey, i like Clarkson and i admire that he finally gave in and applauded the guys from Kentucky, but explain: why the Nascar snuff ? (got the Daytona speedway over my right shoulder). webcam photo of the sunset here in 3-2-1.....

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol people actually watch top gear usa?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

impossible to watch more than 2 or 3 minutes in a stretch. i'm like oh-ferrr 20 tries. girlymen posers.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Originally Posted by kenkawai993
This Bret Michaels interview aired on "Top Gear USA" not the original UK top gear. But I do remember the episode OD is talking about, where they buy American cars and drive to new Orleans and on the way they write stuff on their cars that are offensive to the locals. That was top gear UK who did it, not top gear USA. 2 different shows in my opinion.
That whole thing with the writing on the cars and the people getting upset was staged... but even so, if they couldn't take a joke or were so closed minded that they got that upset about something written on a car... then they more than deserved to come off badly on the show. It is unfortunate, but its rednecks like that who give most of the world their image of what the US is like

odurandina, I take it you haven't seen the latest episode where the top gear gang comes to NASCAR country...
Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

They made an Aussie top gear which was woeful at the start, as they just tried to clone the presenters from the BBC version, but has got better over time but the original top gear will always be the only one to watch IMO. The guys are the most unlikely ppl to host a show like top gear and thats why it works. They don't take themselves too seriously, have great sense of humour, and always seem to genuinely be having fun. Clarkeson actually loved the 944 turbo and compared it to the ford cosworth sierra, which was a legend of a car and the highest praise you could give IMO
peace
Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with most of you that he did not trash it, he just said his did not work out and that he basically got took on it. It is a great car with a great engine (how many other cars could go 127 and get close to 30mpg in 1983?), it is just not for future rock stars on a string budget, he probably can not even change an air cleaner.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kombatrok
That whole thing with the writing on the cars and the people getting upset was staged... but even so, if they couldn't take a joke or were so closed minded that they got that upset about something written on a car... then they more than deserved to come off badly on the show. It is unfortunate, but its rednecks like that who give most of the world their image of what the US is like

odurandina, I take it you haven't seen the latest episode where the top gear gang comes to NASCAR country...

I haven't seen that one. Are we talking about USA version?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't think his comments were any worse than the bearded guy ripping on the 924 during the Panamera review segment, but maybe I'm just being particularly sensitive about that...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F40LM
I haven't seen that one. Are we talking about USA version?

no... the regular Top Gear from Britain.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
kombatrok
Pro

He doesn't say anything bad about the 944 at all... not sure why anyone would say he trashed it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArYXvK5k44{/YOUTUBE}
Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

you clowns are smoking something. He said he bought a lemon and junked it. No more, no less. It could have been a buick or a ferrari. He said nothing bad about porsche or the sacred 944.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 AM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom R.
you clowns are smoking something. He said he bought a lemon and junked it. No more, no less. It could have been a buick or a ferrari. He said nothing bad about porsche or the sacred 944.
This sums up Bret micheals statement well

Quick Reply: Bret Michaels talks about his 944 on Top Gear..