Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snowy Drive Home

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Hawk36
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had about 8 inches here in North Alabama today. Might get a bit more tonight.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Way cool photo.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone that says the 944 is terrible in the snow doesn't know...
Yea, heck the 944 is at least as good as any other 2wd car that sits 4 inches off the ground.

PS.. if you ver get a chance to get in the snow with a true heavy 4x4 you might see the whole situation as a lot more comical. Sometimes, if I see kids in the car, I'll stop and pull them out of the ditch. My favorite was the lady that told me this wasn't supposed to happen bc her BMW had traction control.

PSS... We got snow this morning, did you know you can get ticketed in Illinois for helping someone to get out of the ditch? ...Bruce
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
catfish
Rennlist Member

Keaton, you might try to find some autosocks for your car.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keaton944
Any advice for someone who is driving not only a 944 but a manual for the 1st time in the snow. Before this i had a subaru outback so i never had problems with snow but this morning i was sideways pretty much the entire way to work and almost went into the ditch a few times. I wasn't going fast, in fact i was going very slow, 5mph or maybe 10. mostly in 1st gear. The roads were iced, like a skating rink iced.

soon as i got on the road and accelerated forward even very softly and slowly the back end began to slide to the other lane and as i tried to give it some gas to keep from sliding backwards and into the ditch the more it just slide sideways. So I backed off and just stayed at a steady low rpm and it regained control but i was pretty sure i was going to be in the ditch within the 1st 30seconds of leaving the house.

Also, how can i downshift without doing the same? When i downshifted to make a left turn my *** end was sliding to the right and to the ditch. I hadn't even really started to make the turn yet.

I have 15 inch wheels, just the standard 215/60/15 size tires, Goodyear Eagle GT all season, basically brand new too. But OMG it was like night and day compared to driving the outback last year.

the roads were clear by lunch but this morning and again tomorrow morning they will be solid ice again. It doesn't help that my city is ill prepared for snow/ice and the **** doesn't get cleared out until like noon.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I didn't think it was gonna be bad at all but it was BAD. Even considering walking to work tomorrow (I don't live far) but I'd rather not.
Like Van said, theres no reason to downshift in snow. Just coast to a stop with the clutch depressed then shift. That way you don't have to worry about breaking the back end loose and getting into an accident. Also if this car is your D/D a set of snow tires in the winter will make a big difference.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Beautiful picture!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

drving from metrowest Boston to Miami last night was one for the ages...... upon reaching North Carolina, the ice started....

from about mile marker 170 to 80 here in NC it turned into an ice storm and just got worse and worse. 45 mph, 35, 30 mph down to 15 and 20 mph.... 90 miles of hell in about 3 and a half hours. 50 + accidents. first there was tons of cars passing me (i was going like 30) hen there were none. didn't take long to find out why. enter Darwin... they were all crashing.

i spun twice at 30 mph then 20 mph. i was in the passing lane facing oncoming traffic. lucky they were going slow too. got so bad, i drove in the break down lane about 1/3 of the way. figured i'd be in the clear by now, but now, the roads are totally impassable.

so, i'm done for the night. (that was about 1 a.m last night)

about an hour later, i decided to go bsck out.

being as stubborn as i am i decided to go back and drive for about 5 more hours and made about 130 more miles. the roads finally got passable after leaving North Carolina. the highway had become a ghost town, with almost no cars or trucks. and the ones that i did manage to see were going no more than about 35 mph. saw in total, about 70 accidents, during the entire length of north Carolina which took about 7 hours of driving, i saw many of cars that had gone off the road and couldn't get back on.... not all were bad, but many were, including people who somehow managed to cream each other, cars that went over into ravines and lots of rollovers. by the time i got to Florence, SC, my car was as one giant icicle, with about a half-inch thick coating of ice on the mirrors and spoiler. never knew this car could be driven this way, but it turns out 15-25 mph is possible, even on ice. toughest driving i've ever done. even beats the devil's spine in Durango and Sinaloa, Mex.

the reason i kept on going was that i dreaded the idea of driving today after all the ******** came out and would surely be driving too fast on some really bad roads. now that i'm in South Carolina the conditions should hopefully, be improving.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow Allan! Wishing you a safe journey! I plan on having everything parked for when the snow hits NY.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks buddy.

"The road conditions are very dire at this point," Joe Turner, a North Carolina transportation maintenance engineer in Raleigh, said early Tuesday. "The roads are very bad. We urge people to stay at the house."

last night i went for it becuase i had this, practically the whole interstate, all to myself and i figured it was only going to get worse. :P

/
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Time to bust out the ice skates! Who's up for a pickup game of hockey?
Good to hear you made it through without too much issue.

The 944 does really well in the snow, provided you have some all seasons tires on it. I've been driving mine through the past few snow falls (4" last night). There isn't a lot of snow, but the local municipalities in MO are not that proficient at removing it, or keeping it from turning to ice. I've had some difficulty getting around, but I'm still running my Hankook R-S2 tires with half tread depth. My previous 951 had all season performance tires, and handled snowy conditions amazingly well.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Good thing you didnt come through the upstate, roads are still nearly impassable (at least everything except the damn interstates, which none of us locals can get to for the most part). Been stuck at home the last two days. We did venture out today to get a little breakfast and let me say, 15 was the max speed we could do in my wife's Edge. Congrats on making it through...

Quick Reply: Snowy Drive Home