Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to clarks garage and look at his write up. You can test your gauge by taking a potentiometer and connecting it inline with the sensor wire to ground and turning it will make the temp needle move thru the range. I forget the resistance range needed, which is why i say try clarks garage.

But, if you take the wire and just touch it to ground, that should peg the temp gauge.

Try touching it to chassis ground, check gauge. if work. then try touching(clamp) it to the motor and then check the needle. if it dont peg then your motor might have the loose ground wires back by the oil filler/AOS area.

also, the sensor is not in the coolant, it is simply screwed into the head so you don't have to worry about loosing any fluid when you remove it. and it does not have to be installed crazy tight either.

Tom
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Camsti
Instructor

Ive never used that tool but very interested in trying it...is it this tool?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHAQ8wIwAQ#
Old 01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Camsti
Instructor

Alright i just installed the new temperature sensor and i started the car and i still dont have a reading. So i was wondering, do you have to take the steering wheel off to get the gauge out?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Camsti
Instructor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

What do you guys think of this?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Yarf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gauge removal information
http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/elect-06.pdf
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Camsti
Instructor

Before ordering a new (used)gauge, since the gas gauge works and the blinker notifications work, when the key is on the ''on'' position..the battery light turns for a sec. I was just wondering if those work, then would i still have to replace the gauge? I already replaced the temperature sensor thats under the j boot, cleaned off the ground..and i still dont have any reading. The fans turn on fine and does not overheat either.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 AM
Camsti
Instructor

Hey guys tonight i was bored and thought "hmmm ill go look at that ground for the sensor again". I popped it off and i put the key in the ignition to the "on" position and i measured the volts on the ground, it was reading between .900-1.2 volts. I thought " sooo..its not transferring it to the sensor..bad ground connection?" I took my time and cleaned the ground for about 30 minutes with wd-40 and tooth picks to where it was spotless. I went back in the car and the gauge wasnt reading anything and i noticed when i turned the key from "on" to "off" the gauge needle moved. So i ran the engine to operating temperature and it went up to about 2 1/2 and then the fans kicked on and it sat between 1-2 for about 20 minutes. The coolant level at Operature temperature is at the maximum mark and im really relieved that it works now. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge guys, i appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Temperature Gauge