Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autothority short shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002 | 02:14 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Autothority short shifter...

I just went through the archives looking for info on this, but really didn't see any opinions from people who have installed the Autothority short shifter. Those of you who have them, what do you think? Which setting do you use (evidently there are two?)? Is it any notchier or harder to find the gear (or get completely into the gear) w/it than w/stock? Do you think it could hurt the trans in ANY way? Any extra noise or vibrations or anything? Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks a lot,
Robby
Old 03-22-2002 | 02:42 AM
d richard
Instructor

For what it's worth( I haven't driven the car very much) I love the feeling of the short shifter. It's more of a "snick snick" feeling when you shift. In fact I like it so much I'm goint to put a short shift in my e36 as soon as I can drive the '44 on a daily basis.

I used the shortest setting and the kit was very easy to install. Of course I did this when the tranny was out during a clutch replacement.

Make sure you use some kind of thread lock (loctite) on the bolts. As far as noise or vibration I didn't notice anything different.

I recommend it highly.
Old 03-22-2002 | 05:43 AM
H Dog
Advanced

[quote]
In fact I like it so much I'm goint to put a short shift in my e36 as soon as I can drive the '44 on a daily basis.
<hr></blockquote>

A bit off topic, but I installed the UUC short shifter in my E36 M3. It takes about 1/2 hour if you have access to a lift. Get a few extra of the clips, they tend to fly off instead of seating.

It makes a HUGE difference, much more miata like. I'm installing a short shifter in my 951 next, so I'm interested in hearning what other have to say about short shifters on the market!
Old 03-22-2002 | 05:51 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

I got mine from GPR which is a copy of the Autothority. It's great just as long as you don't powershift and slam it into the next gear or you will grind your syncros'.
Old 03-22-2002 | 09:35 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I noticed more vibration coming up through the shifter..especially around 3000rpm (once it gets above that the frequency of the vibration is higher, so its less noticable). I just changed to Redline 75-90 GL-5 gear oil and I noticed a significant reduction in vibrations coming up through the shifter..

I used the least short throw position. There are actually 2 adjustments...one for "shortness" side to side and another for "shortness" front to back. The car slides into gear the way it did before, just with less travel.

The only reason I used the autoth short shift and not one of the cheaper ones was that my stock linkage seemed worn back there, but fine @ the shifter itself. I would use a John Harrington short shift if I didn't want to replace the linkage by the trans.

Install is pretty easy, although kind of a tight fit. Don't strip any bolts, its not fun...I'm speaking from experience here...hehe
Old 03-23-2002 | 01:20 AM
purv944
Advanced

Talking

I've had the Autothority short shifter for about a year now, and I am also in love with it. Personally, for the first week or so I was having a problem of grinding it into second, but I quickly got the hang of it. (I used to drive a jeep, it was quite a difference.)

In addition all of my friend in their honda's are envious because mine "clicks" into gears.

Quick Reply: Autothority short shifter...