Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped - Turbo to Coolant Reservoir Hose Coupler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stumped - Turbo to Coolant Reservoir Hose Coupler?

OK, this one has me stumped.

I recently installed a Vitesse Stage 2 Turbo. It's working great.

The problem is - and I was able to identify this immedately after the install when I pressurized the cooling system...is that I'm using my 19mm hose that goes from the coolant reservoir tank to the turbo, which is NOT 19mm. The turbo pipe looks like it's about 13-14mm, so obviously the hose coming off the reservoir is too big and it begins to leak under pressure. I've got a clamp on it now and it works fine...it leaks very little but enough that it's driving me crazy and I need to fix it.

I can't find a coupler that goes deep enough into each size with enough of a nipple on both ends that I feel comfortable getting a clamp around it. I'd rather not replace with an OEM hose (which is apparently tapered to match the size on both ends - when I replaced the turbo that one was too short so I couldn't reuse it) as I'd have to dump coolant, etc... and I just did all that when I replaced the turbo. I just want to clamp the reservoir line - cut the hose - put in a 19mm <-> 14mm coupler and clamp it down.

Anyone have any idea on this? John mentioned some stuff from the water/plumbing section at Home Depot in his instructions - but I can't find anything over there that has 2 male ends with enough width to get a clamp on both sides.

Here's another picture he shows (but this is if you delete the whole metal arm that comes out of the turbo). I don't need a 3-way connection - just a 2-way. The section I need is outlined in red.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  

Last edited by choinga; 12-23-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:29 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you looking for a hose reducing coupling?
Something like McMaster offers Here but in metric?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:34 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you take the OEM hose you have already that is too short, and cut it off where it is the same size as the hose you want to use (19mm) Then you only need a double male adapter that fits the one size. You also get the benefit of a smooth transition down to the smaller size via the piece of stock oem hose that already does this.

My .02cents.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:10 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Why don't you take the OEM hose you have already that is too short, and cut it off where it is the same size as the hose you want to use (19mm) Then you only need a double male adapter that fits the one size. You also get the benefit of a smooth transition down to the smaller size via the piece of stock oem hose that already does this.

My .02cents.
I thought about it - but that hose is 23 years old and is bulging a little at the short end and needs to be replaced. It's just silly to me to put any old stock rubber back in this car when you have it out.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

go to the parts store and ask them to look around at their hose selection. Find a long straight piece w/ a flare at the end and buy it. Cut to length and install.

Quick Reply: Stumped - Turbo to Coolant Reservoir Hose Coupler?