Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Heat/AC

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002 | 03:32 AM
TX Red
Intermediate

Post No Heat/AC

My 944 has no heat or AC. The AC compressor is new, and I spoke to the mechanic who last worked on the car. He told me to replace the vacuum control solenoids, which I did. The mechanic had gone in and done a temporary fix (neither heat nor cold air would blow) and I'm not sure what vacuum hose goes where. Does anybody have a diagram? The three hoses have #1, #2 and #* (AC I'm assuming) on them.
Also, what else should I check? I can hear the clicks in the climate control when I switch from cold to hot.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2002 | 10:08 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Kat, the usual failure modes that I'm familiar with are full-time or intermittent heat when it's not wanted, so I'm kind of shooting in the dark here.

First, I gather your fan is working correctly (4 speeds)?

No clue on the no A/C, beyond suggesting that you check to be sure the clutch on the compressor is engaging. Car securely up on ramps, undertray removed, you under the car, someone inside, engine running, watch the center of the A/C clutch (driver's side of engine, under alternator), and see if it starts turning when the A/C is switched on. Look for electrical problems in the fuse/switch/ wiring going to the compressor clutch, or low freon charge level. (Edit: You may be able to see the A/C clutch center from on top, and avoid raising the car. YOu should hear a 'click' from the clutch when it engages.)

No heat? Find the heater valve.. back of the head on the passenger's side, near the firewall, IIRC, on a 944. Just follow the heater hoses. It's in an awkward spot.

Check to be sure the heater valve is operating correctly. It's opened by a spring, closed by vacuum from one of the vacuum-control solenoid valves you mentioned. So it should be open with the engine off, and you should see the little bar that connects the valve body to the vacuum actuator (round canister attached to the heater valve body) move when the engine is running and you call for heat.

One of the vacuum hoses from one of the solenoid valves (sorry, no numbers in my memory) goes to the vacuum actuator. Be sure it's attached, and is getting vacuum when you have the heat on. If not, check that you have vacuum available at the solenoid valves (engine running).

The next no-heat possibility is that you have an air bubble in your heater core, and the cooling system needs to be bled. See the archives here ("Search" function at the top of the page, using "bleeding" as a search term).

You may also have a problem in the sensor loop to the climate control brain. If none of the above fixes it, post back.

Jim, "Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the possum that it can be done."

Quick Reply: No Heat/AC