Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Think I Might Try Rallycross

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Think I Might Try Rallycross

So Winter is coming very soon and it's going to start snowing. So I was thinking how can I use that to my advantage? and have some fun instead of just sitting around complaining about how cold it is and how much the winter sucks. Then I thought hey why don't I try rallycross? With the AutoX season over (and being missed very much) I need somewhere that I can drive my car to the limit without totaling it.

My question to you guys is has anyone here done rallycross with a 944? If so how good is it? And by good I mean how fun. I know that it's not gonna beat any evo's or sti's.

The only real concern I have is getting stuck in the snow.
Let me know what you guys think.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry I don't have any experience rallycrossing my 944 but have you followed rally cross in your area? Because people that I know who have done it ended up turning their reasonably nice cars into..... not so nice cars with many battle scars. so maybe just beware that rally is rougher on a car than autocross.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
James Chimney
Pro

Adam you would think you would be set till spring after beating me all summer at Auto Cross. but hey no reason we can't go for "spirited" drives (if there is no snow) all winter long?
I am setting up a Range day to go shoot guns in Danbury, CT (open to all) in January, I'll keep you posted, Brusch exhaust is all painted and ready to go in in the next few weeks.
and if you find some thing else to do let me know
James
Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

Sorry I don't have any experience rallycrossing my 944 but have you followed rally cross in your area? Because people that I know who have done it ended up turning their reasonably nice cars into..... not so nice cars with many battle scars. so maybe just beware that rally is rougher on a car than autocross.
Yeah I was worried about that. But I was thinking of just doing it in the snow which seems less tough on the car than gravel or mud.

I drove the car all last winter and I'm going to drive it every once in a while this winter so I'm not worried about driving it in snow. It's not like my car is exactly showroom quality.

I just want to try it out. I'll only get one chance this year anyways since there's events in Dec Jan and Feb but the Dec and Jan events are here in CT and snow doesn't stick around too long here so those will probably be mud and snow. Whereas the last event is in New Hampshire which is basically covered in snow all winter.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

What's the matter James you don't want to come do RallyX with me? lol

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun count me in. I've been shooting guns since I was 7 years old but I haven't done it in a while.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter = time to switch to video games, not rallycross your poor 944 into a tree!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 PM
James Chimney
Pro

Originally Posted by Rudeboy42
What's the matter James you don't want to come do RallyX with me? lol

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun count me in. I've been shooting guns since I was 7 years old but I haven't done it in a while.
Adam, you kill me I may go out and play in the snow but I don't think I want to wreck my pretty 944, now yours...who would notice...lol, I will keep you posted about the gun day
Old 12-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Winter = time to switch to video games, not rallycross your poor 944 into a tree!
There's really no chance of hitting anything other than cones and maybe some small snow banks. Rallycross is basically like Autocross but on loose surfaces.

Look here's a 944 in action on a course.

Basically I want to try this so I can learn proper car control in the snow and so I can have some fun and scratch that motorsports itch at the same time.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James Chimney
Adam, you kill me I may go out and play in the snow but I don't think I want to wreck my pretty 944, now yours...who would notice...lol, I will keep you posted about the gun day
I'll admit that your car is in way too nice of shape to go out and race around in the snow with. Mine I don't have too much to loose. As long as it's in good shape mechanically I'm fine with it.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 PM
James Chimney
Pro

Originally Posted by Rudeboy42
I'll admit that your car is in way too nice of shape to go out and race around in the snow with. Mine I don't have too much to loose. As long as it's in good shape mechanically I'm fine with it.
well I just got new tires and can't justify new snow tires when I am trying to get track tires for auto cross next year (hoping Santa is go to me this year...and yes I know I look like Santa.)
but if you find a place and do it Adam I will come check it out....one more Porsche thing to do......
by the way we don't get snow like that around here it is usually gone in a few days/a week and it is not powder like that but it should be fun either way
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

No snow like that never lasts around here. That event was in New Hampshire which is where I'm planning on going if I decide to do it. I just don't know how well my car will do with all season tires. I don't want to get stuck and have no fun.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
racer
Drifting

Might be better off finding a local "indoor kart" facility nearby than potentially ruining your car.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A snow bank will wreck your car just as fast as a tree!
I dunno, just depends how much you care about your car.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely do it dude
Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like fun! I have thought about it. My car is very low, and I do not have any thin tires. Looks like it would be a hoot.

Quick Reply: I Think I Might Try Rallycross