Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typical temp gauge reading for Early 944 driven on the street

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical temp gauge reading for Early 944 driven on the street

For those with Early era 44's out running around on the street, where is your temp needle typically at? (traffic, freeway, or in general) Again, early cars only.

The temp gauge in my 84 944 auto seems to hover at the 12 oclock position(very middle line) on the temp gauge after a 30 mile ish commute. Needle does not go any higher then mid gauge but I feel like this is a bit warm based on what my other 44 does.

My race/track car is also an 84 44, but it seems to run at the first thin line on the left side of the gauge(about the 10 oclock position). This is running a 30 minute race. I run both fans on a toggle switch so I flip em both on when on the cool down lap but best I can recall, even during the race the temp does not get much above that first thin mark.

So what do ya say, early 44 ers ?
Tom
Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

the middle line is perfect. only when its 90+ here will it go higher than that.

you can change your thermostat to a lower-temp version if it concerns you but it shouldnt.

remember that even though you drive your racecar hard, you tend to go faster than a street driven car which means more air flowing across the radiator. that plus both fans on compared to maybe one fan on the street would logically make the car run cooler.

does your street car have the plastic shroud in place behind the bumper?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Mine runs at about the middle needle, usually just a hair below it. When the fans kick in it's usually just a smidge over the middle, then drops temporarily between 1st and 1/2 notch. Then slowly gets back to 1/2 and stays with the fans on.

Only time I had an issue with it doing anything other was when i had a clogged rad and a bad thermostat. I then replaced it with a crap thermostat and because of lack of flow it stayed at the 3rd mark. Once I replaced it with the right stuff it has forever hung out at the 1/2 mark. IF you had a very low temp stat and thermofan switch it could potentially go lower than that. Same if you had a high temp stat and higher temp thermoswitch. I have heard of people running at the 1st line, or just a bit above it. My only thing I can think of due to that is that they have a lower temp stat and thermoswitch.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Yes, the plastic shroud is behind the bumber, on the street car.

Thats good to know others see the same needle position, just wanted to make sure.. When the fan kicks in, it will draw it down to just below the half way mark and then shut off. Or, when i turn the car off, one fan will continue to run for a minute or two, then shut off.

Tom
Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Yes, the plastic shroud is behind the bumber, on the street car.

Thats good to know others see the same needle position, just wanted to make sure.. When the fan kicks in, it will draw it down to just below the half way mark and then shut off. Or, when i turn the car off, one fan will continue to run for a minute or two, then shut off.

Tom
Mine does the same, but my understanding is that it should /not/ do that unless there is a defective fan relay. Mine is probably defective, however, the fans both still turn on and it cools correctly, so it's just annoying that a fan stays on a few minutes after.

Normal operation as far as I'm aware of is that when the car is off the relay disengages, and therefore everything should be off. If it's not and it stays open the thermoswitch still runs current and the fan will run till the temp is down enough to disengage the thermoswitch and THEN it turns off the fan.

At least that is my understanding, though I may be wrong. But yes, your temp sounds fine.

Here is a really good article on clarks-garage about cooling fan troubleshooting and operation.
http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/cool-01.htm

And an article related to the temperatures of your gauges and where they should be.
http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual...19.htm#coolant

Quick Reply: Typical temp gauge reading for Early 944 driven on the street