Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE Absolute Easiest method to get $130 worth of horsepower!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Or you could put a few helium ballons under your but so that you float in the car.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
Or you could put a few helium ballons under your but so that you float in the car.
i know who would do this... the same people that fill their tires with nitrous!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
You know, even if you don't weigh anything you still have mass and therefore inertia.

Weight in the back causing oversteer -you're thinking of 911s, where if you suddenly lift off the throttle that causes the nose to dive and the rear to lose friction, so the outward inertia makes it want to "swing out. All cars have this tendency, but it's only scary in old 911s because they're the extreme case. On the other hand, the weight in the rear just keeps the tires stuck to the ground since friction is a function of weight on the tire, as well as what adrial said of course.

Go do an autocross. Try with your trunk full and then with your trunk empty, and see for yourself.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12

however, take out your spare tire (~30 lbs), jack stand (~5 lbs), and air compressor (~5 lbs). next, fill your tank up only 1/2 way full (save a whopping 80 lbs here). total weight reduction = about 120 lbs.

How much money is that worth?

Being without spare with flat tire is worth at least 100€ for ride with flat bed truck, if one is close to home.
If the cops find out you don't have mandatory equipment it is worth 500€. Or 1000€ if they charge jack stand and tire seperate.

So driving without spare tire for saving few lbs is not a good idea. Atleast not in yurop.

Last edited by Voith; 11-24-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess my years of autocross and track events were for nothing. My instructors license, throw it out the window. Im just a mamma's boy who wouldnt know.

I track my turbo w/ all the spare, jack, tools, compressor in the rear sometimes. If you pull all the weight out from one end of the car you CAN feel a difference! Now after i deleted my A/C and shaved some more weight from the front of the car i started pulling the jack, compressor and tools out, but the spare stays. My former autoX car- and n/a- always had the spare in and the carpet at events. For some reason i always did very well since the car wasnt spinning tires.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i guess my years of autocross and track events were for nothing. My instructors license, throw it out the window. Im just a mamma's boy who wouldnt know.

I track my turbo w/ all the spare, jack, tools, compressor in the rear sometimes. If you pull all the weight out from one end of the car you CAN feel a difference! Now after i deleted my A/C and shaved some more weight from the front of the car i started pulling the jack, compressor and tools out, but the spare stays. My former autoX car- and n/a- always had the spare in and the carpet at events. For some reason i always did very well since the car wasnt spinning tires.
I absolutely agree with you..as long as we are talking about driving at 9/10 or 10/10th's of the cars capability. Realistically most never drive their cars beyond 7/10th's.. even at lapping sessions. I would not want anyone to think that becuase they pull the spare tire, they are going to spin out on their way to the grocery store when they go around a corner.

With the weight savings that we are talking about, the difference of driving with a full tank or an empty tank is about the same kind of effect on handling, and I suspect most people don't FEEL that difference in daily driving or sprited touring.

Ok back to the topic.. Besides radical type mods..anyone have other little Porsche specific tips/tricks? Any hp tweaks?
There are certainly the obvious. For instance Making sure your car is in pefect "stock" tune. These things are 20+years old, and old/worn parts can reduce the opportunity to maximize the available hp.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:44 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
While on the topic, what other VERY simple mods can free up some hp, make some hp, or improve power to weight ratios? When I say simple, I mean "shadetree" mechanic simple, and when I say low cost, I mean under $100.00 per mod. Any 944 specific things? There are lots of general type mods (mods that work in ALL automobiles)
Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Ok back to the topic.. Besides radical type mods..anyone have other little Porsche specific tips/tricks? Any hp tweaks?
There are certainly the obvious. For instance Making sure your car is in pefect "stock" tune. These things are 20+years old, and old/worn parts can reduce the opportunity to maximize the available hp.
OK,

The smallest "little" way to improve performance is to get the small throttle cam. No HP increase but better punch at the light. You do loose gas mileage.

Then a great link from member PorscheDoc on HP:
http://germanautoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7240

And... basic tune up stuff that will make your car run better. Best tip of all---get new injectors or at least get them serviced www.witchhunter.com or similiar.

http://www.9xauto.com/hgrailart.htm

GL
John
Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
OK,

The smallest "little" way to improve performance is to get the small throttle cam. No HP increase but better punch at the light. You do loose gas mileage.
Take that advice with a grain of salt, your car isn't gonna go any faster with a throttle cam.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One factor that I have not heard mentioned here is the rear spoiler downforce at different speeds. Which goes back to my original point. This is a meaningless discussion when we are talking about a 30lbs spare tire delete making you spin out. I personally am much more conscerned about the butt dyno and fun factor. My car is just much more fun and performs better with a few hundred lbs off stock weight. To get that much weight off you need more than a spare tire, but I really believe the car will beat a completly stock 944 on the track with equal driver. That makes the car more fun, and that is the key factor isn't it? And I am not going to live my life in a shell and stay up at night worrying about whether I have a spare tire in the car or not.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the only solution is an LSx....

btw, the national speed limit is 80 MPH. please stf down during the holidays.

if you drink a six-pack, don't drive back.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Take that advice with a grain of salt, your car isn't gonna go any faster with a throttle cam.
The throttle cam will shorten the arc (due to the design of the OEM cam) and you will notice faster accelleration. Yes it can be accomplished by just flooring the gas pedal ---but this is easier.

Past discussion:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-you-like.html

John
Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
racer
Drifting

as to the OP.. curb wieght can vary based on options etc. and HP, after 20+ years may not be the originally rated 147... both of which skew your data

That said, imho, I imagine the first "100 lbs" , to the common driver, would be more placebo than true advantage. Knowing how to really drive will "add hp" to your car (and well, any other car you drive) as well.

Michael Shumacher in a 944 with a spare and a full tank of gas will be quicker around a track than you or I with all the mods listed so far
Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Ya know, I was mulling this over, and I figured out one way to add 130hp without spending a dollar.

Start the car.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
What is the difference between us and row na? I think row has more than 147hp..
yes, 163hp until the world engine in 1988 when it was 160 for all.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

I love how Colin Chapman put it:
"Any car which holds together for more than a race is too heavy." or
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
The second one is evident when you start looking at lap times in the 944 Spec series and compare the 951 to the 944.

To add my little secrete to more hp in a NA 944. Replace the old clogged cat and muffler. I know it is not free but I can always feel a difference on the 3 that I have had.

Quick Reply: THE Absolute Easiest method to get $130 worth of horsepower!!!