Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 Fuel Pump no power

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 PM
wade944
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early 944 Fuel Pump no power

Hello All. And thanks for taking the time to read my dilemna. I've been working on my 83' 944 for a while now. I have power to the fuse box, but no power to the fuel pump. I've tried the 87/87b/ 3 way jumper thingy on the DME Relay to no avail. Even tried another ECU and a brand new relay. No power getting to the fuel pump. How do I check how much amperage is getting to the fuel pump and where are those fuel pump wires located? Not the ones in the back of the car, where do they originate? So I can see if they even have power at the source? I have saved this car from being parted out, replaced almost everything on it now, including the fuel pump (its new too) and am just a radiator change away from getting it on the blacktop to get inspected. Hopefully I'll be driving my Porsche within the week.....with your help.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a chart of the DME harness--credit to Specialized ECU repair. Maybe this will help.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 PM
wade944
Cruisin'

John, This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for leading me to it. I'll let you know how it comes out. I'm getting ancy to finally drive this ol' car.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 PM
ALFAPU
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked your ignition switch? I had the exact same problem with an '84 944 and after a full day of running jumpers, checking sensors, swapping ECUs and checking relays, I eventually just hot wired the car and drove it home.

The previous owner was astonished and kicking himself for giving me the car for free.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:13 PM
wade944
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ALFAPU
Have you checked your ignition switch? I had the exact same problem with an '84 944 and after a full day of running jumpers, checking sensors, swapping ECUs and checking relays, I eventually just hot wired the car and drove it home.

The previous owner was astonished and kicking himself for giving me the car for free.
The fuel pump works when I wire it directly. I even tried jumpering the factory alarm, also jumpered the DME relay with the 87b/87/ 3 way jumper thingy, put in a brand new relay and swapped out the ECU also. I have power to the fuse panel, and I'm stumped. Car has been setting for 4 months and worked great before. Ran like a champ. The only work I've done on it recently was rebuild the clutch slave, and master cylinders, and put the starter back on. The "only" thing that is strange or different, is that I am now hearing a slight "ticking" sound coming from under the car somewhere when its running (that is "when" I hotwire the fuel pump) I have never heard this "ticking" before ever. And I don't know if it has anything to do with my "no power to fuel pump" issue now. My wife is getting frustrated with how much time I'm spending on the car now, so you know how good that is for our relationship. I just need to get it running and everything will be better. I swear, I getting ready to just run a wire directly from the fuse box to the fuel pump..if I knew which place to run it from....Desperation....."refrain from foul language!!!!".........!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 PM
wade944
Cruisin'

I'm also about 2 thoughts away from putting up the "For Sale" sign on it.......Maybe 1.....
Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 PM
wade944
Cruisin'

It Is FiXED!!!! A 15 hour start issue that had me completely Stumped.... Apparently a short on the back of the fuse box was the culprit. Now it starts easily. Real easy. It hasn't ran all that much in the last year, so it's running a little rough. So I guess I'll refresh the injectors and go "blow the soot" out of it on the road. Maybe that will help. John_AZ and Alfapu, thanks so much for your help and your time. It does not go unappreciated. If I can ever look something up for you or assist any of you in any way, pm me. Thanks guys, I'm going to go drive my $600 944 down the road>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.............................. ..................
Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 AM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

Glad to help but you were the one to find the problem at the rear of the fuse/relay panel.

15 hours---your still a beginner

Enjoy

GL
John
Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Glad to help but you were the one to find the problem at the rear of the fuse/relay panel.

15 hours---your still a beginner

Enjoy

GL
John
First welcome to Rennlist __wade 944__ and glade you got her going,I feel close to you since I've own an 83 for a long time would you beleive it took me 26 years before I could find the courage to let her go. Send us some pics if you can___ And John you didn't have to be so mean toward the young one,just because he drive one of the best 944 around (1983) & your driving a 924S jealousy will get you nowhere.By the way you want to send me some of that warm weather it's getting very cold up here.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 AM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

Ernie,

Your '83 was the finest example of a well kept 944 ever!

You are right about my cars, I am comfortable with the 924S. Its fun, irritating, boring and yet I feel I can still put a wrench to the engine and fix something. Parts are cheap. Oh, in southern AZ there is no salt on the road and parts do not rust.

I forgot to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving on Oct.11

Is there snow in your future? Woke up today and it was 57F ---14C Burrrrrrrrrrr

John

Quick Reply: Early 944 Fuel Pump no power