Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Woody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet replacement

It's time for new carpet in the 944 so I have been looking on the internet at the different options. I am looking for a complete molded carpet set in Linen but have had a problem finding much offered in the correct color. Will have to see how close I can come.

For those of you who have installed a new carpet set in your car:
Who did you buy from?
What did you think of their product?

Thanks
Woody
Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

wish i could help, im in the same boat and im striking out. anybody??
i gutted my interior down to floor pan ( p.o. left outside ,mildew) cleaned it all out, new hush matt etc. so i bought a new molded carpet for 944s from automotion which IMO is pretty bad . anyway it allowed me to drive the car all summer. now i hate it and want QUALITY CARPET. hope someone chimes in . thanks

1990 944 s2 cab triple black
Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished my carpet kit from Rob Bud at classic9'sleathershop.com. He produces a quality product. The carpet is not factory but it has good fit if you take you time. I would post picks but all of my dash is in the hatch as I am recovering it with a kit from the same company.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

Ideola's Garage

Ideola has carpet sets in linen for 799. I was going to get the domestic version in black some time next year hopefully.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

cool, thanks for the tips . ill check them out. 799 seems a bit much but if its close to oem...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

I got the domestic set it is much cheaper and IMO very nice. I don't think it will make much of a difference unless you are making a concourse restoration. Ideola resells classic9s carpet.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Woody
Racer

Has anyone ever delt with www.autocarpetoriginals.com . I ran into them at a swap meet this weekend but had not heard of them before.

Classic9 has a good reputation

Autos international is another one I know nothing about
http://www.autosintl.com/

thanks for the input so far
W
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

plyhammer, thanks for the offer, im thinking new only because of my previous mildew problem... however if i could see pics of close up wear damage ...might consider. kind of new to rennlist so im just asking ...i know oem was good stuff , it took a lot to get rid of that mildew , so im a little gun shy.
arthropraxis, yeah if i do it , id go domestic..half the price as german,
thanx
Old 11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered the after market carpets. But there literally isn't anything like factory. I'd get a mint condition used one. It'll pop right in with no problems. It's what I did.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

I have to say the carpet I got is very good, but, if I had to do it again I would go with an original carpet in good condition. It would be much easier installation.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've seen nice used carpet sets go for like $300-350.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

944online.com has complete sets listed for every model on their site. Not sure if you've checked them out. A set for my S2 in black is $595.95.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Woody
Racer

Ok, I only wanted decent looking carpet. This project is out of control and it is not my FAULT

I ordered carpet from Classic 9. It's here and looks great. But then there was the lower dash padding with the color worn off the top edge. No idea how this happened but the top of the pads were brown. The center console was the same way.
Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  68.3 KB

Ok, I can deal with this so I pulled the center console out and also the trim above the lower pad. Vinyl paint from Color-Plus and now I have a nice looking lower pad and center console.
Name:  IMG_0024.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  55.5 KB

I never intended to do anything with the dash, the carpet cover was just fine. But I had pulled that off when getting ready for the vinyl painting. It was not really that bad, only 30 or 40 cracks that could use filling. Fine, I have some filler so start on a few of the worst one.
Name:  IMG_0046.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  58.9 KB

This is not going to work, I can't really get to the cracks up under the windshield. And painting it would be a mess. I realize that to do this right the dash has to come out. This is an accident, never planned on pulling the dash. But its 3/4 the way out already so in I go and out the dash comes.
Name:  IMG_0048.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  48.2 KB

Later in the day I am showing the wife what I did and talking about finishing the dash so it looks right. Long story short(er) is that Classic 9 is now sending me one of their dash pad replacements.

All this and I have not even started to remove the old carpet yet. I will not get much done in the upcoming week but will add more photos as I move along.
Woody
Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Fintro11
Pro

I found a guy selling his carpet on eBay, good price and it is I'n mint condition
Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Woody
Racer

Default update

I went with a carpet set from Classic 9 in the cheaper fabric. It is thinner than the old carpet and the color is not quit right but not a bad match. My suggestion to anyone else doing this would be to go slow and keep both notes and photos of where things came from and which screws to use. I also used the paint from Color + on the back seats and door panels.

Name:  carpet2.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  98.9 KB

The hardest part is fitting the carpet over the wheel humps. It's a long piece and 'bends' all over the place. This piece needs lots of trimming but you need to be very careful not to cut too much or in the wrong place. Again this is slow going.

Name:  carpet15.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  64.9 KB

I only had one rear speaker that was working so I pulled the side up a bit extra to check the speaker. Many have said you can get to speakers without taking out the back side window. I got to the speaker spot but found the speaker was not disconnected but missing altogether. I picked up new speakers but when I went to install them my fat fingers were not getting along with the space available. I ended up pulling out the side windows. They only takes a few minutes to remove and not much more to replace. I had helped a friend with a body shop change windows a few times so I kind of knew what to do but had never done it myself. Turned out to be no big deal .

Name:  carpet5.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  61.5 KB

This is the speaker that was working..pretty good

Name:  carpet6.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  64.3 KB

I think I will use Velcro instead of snaps under the rear of the hatch. Snaps probably would not be that hard, but I have Velcro in the house.
Now it's time to fix and cover the dash.

Name:  carpet20.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  53.6 KB

Woody

Quick Reply: Carpet replacement