Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Adjustment Screw (Please help!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Idle Adjustment Screw (Please help!)

Anyone out there have an idle adjustment screw I can have? Or buy? Or know where I can buy one? While trying to adjust it, mine sheared off. I am pretty sure I can get it out of there, but I need one to replace it.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy one at the dealer. They're cheap. You want a new one with a fresh o-ring so it doesn't vibrate out.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

The dealer only sells the whole throttle body. Or at least my dealer here does. Anyone got a parts car out there?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Porsh-uh dammit:
<strong>The dealer only sells the whole throttle body. Or at least my dealer here does. Anyone got a parts car out there?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">And I thought the S cam chain tensioner scam was bad. That's the worst yet!!!

Sure, we can sell you a spark plug, but it comes as an entire engine assembly...
Old 05-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Peckster:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Porsh-uh dammit:
<strong>The dealer only sells the whole throttle body. Or at least my dealer here does. Anyone got a parts car out there?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">And I thought the S cam chain tensioner scam was bad. That's the worst yet!!!

Sure, we can sell you a spark plug, but it comes as an entire engine assembly...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">My mechanic gave me one because he couldn't be bothered writing up a bill for it.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Scott,

Can you tell me where the idle adjustment screw on the S is located.......puuuulease!!!!

944S Boyeee
Old 05-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

It is right under the throttle cam, on the throttle body, at the very back of the intake manifold. I wish I had a digital camera- I would take a picture for you.

UPDATE: I found a screw and nut just the right size to fit through there and puts the throttle in just the right idle position for me. It now idles at abut 1200 RPM and when you are driving and let off the throttle- it's just slighty less than neutral, it really works out great. Well- except for one thing, when I go to shift from 4th to 5th, the RPMs don't fall back quite fast enough if I am doing a quick shift and the car lurches a little. I just have to take my time a little more on 4th to 5th.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I was thinking air adjustment screw, not the idle adjustment. My mistake.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:46 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I've read in this thread it sounds like you had to replace the Throttle Plate Mechanical Stop Screw, and not the Throttle Body Idle By-Pass Screw.

Since this appears to be the case, you should verify that the mechanical stop is properly set, and to do that you need to remove the throttle body.

After you have the TB out, loosen the Throttle Position Switch hold down screws, loosen the lock nut on the mechanical stop screw, and then back the mechanical stop screw out until it does not touch the throttle plate arm.

Verify that the throttle plate closes fully (there will be a very small gap between the throttle plate and the seat. If the seat and/or throttle plate have a lot of oily crud built up, use some spray carb cleaner to remove the crud.

Once you have verified that the throtte plate can close fully, turn the mechanical stop IN until it just touches the mechanical stop arm.

Next, turn the mechanical stop screw IN 1/2 turn and tighten the lock nut. The throttle plate mechanical stop is not set.

Next, hold the throttle plate closed, and adjust the TPS so that it the internal micro switch makes an audible 'click' just as the throttle plate starts to open.

Once you have the TPS set properly, install the throttle body, disable the Idle Control Valve, start the engine, and use the Throttle Body Idle By-Pass Screw to set the idle.

Once the idle is set, enable the Idle Control Valve and you're done.

HTH

Quick Reply: Idle Adjustment Screw (Please help!)