Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best racing seats for the money

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default best racing seats for the money

I am completely illiterate when it comes to racing seats. I am looking for something that looks good and will save the most weight at a cheap price. Do not need the race harness as it is for street performance. I know you get what you pay for but when I look on Ebay the seats that I think look the best, and are the lightest, are usually the cheap ones. Is a cheap seat good enough for part time street use?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i love my Sparco Evo drivers seat but it was $700. I decided i wanted a matching passenger seat, maybe alittle wider but you cant find them much cheaper anywhere. The other day i found a company on Ebay selling Sparco Evo2Plus seats- which are alittle wider and taller for big guys, for $200 each- they do not have the SFI rating sticker on them- i could not find any other problems w/ the seat like defects etc, brand new in the box, just not govt. rated. I should have bought a bunch of them.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its purely for street use, would you even notice the percieved weight benefit?

The purpose of a race seat is containment and safety as well as support. Large side bolsters, perhaps Head and Neck containment etc are common features. Price is dependent on quality of materials used (fiberglass, aluminum and carbon fiber are popular materials) and any outside safety ratings (FIA, SFI etc)

Sounds like all you might really need is a "sportier" seat and if its lighter than great.

Corbeau, Sparco, Recaro, Kirkey, Ultrashield are just a few brands I can think of. Some of them (recaro, sparco, corbeau) also make "street" seats that might be more inline to what you are looking for.

If you want access to the back seat, you will need a "folding" seat. Otherwise, most race seats are fixed seats (no recline)

You may (will?) also need some adaptors to make them fit your seat rails.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:09 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,223 Posts

I will only use OEM or FIA / SFI certified seats (or a reclining seat from a manufacturer that makes FIA certified shells since reclining seats cannot receive this certification, unless that's changed since I last shopped).

Your best option is non-power OEM Porsche sport seats.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Combined with some other things I am looking to shed about 200+lbs from stock. It all adds up. No, just one thing like seats will not make a huge difference in performance, but everything together is like losing at least 1/2 the weight of the engine. Here is a link to a seat that I think looks really good and is a good price but they do not tell you the weight.

http://bomzracing.com/bomzracingseat...ackinsert.aspx
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
Combined with some other things I am looking to shed about 200+lbs from stock. It all adds up. No, just one thing like seats will not make a huge difference in performance, but everything together is like losing at least 1/2 the weight of the engine. Here is a link to a seat that I think looks really good and is a good price but they do not tell you the weight.

http://bomzracing.com/bomzracingseat...ackinsert.aspx
1. Most seats like that weight more than OEM manual sport seats
2. Safety?? Not sure I would bet my life on "Bomz Racing Seats"
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 PM
racer
Drifting

That seat looks kinda heavy to me.. and since I am a seat snob, looks geared towards the Fast/Furious crowd. Are you part of that crowd?

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/thumb...oad+Race+Seats
http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...se&code=Series
http://www.sparcousa.com/seats.asp

heres a place with a bunch of models... no affiliation blah blah http://www.motorsportseats.com/
Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

I think the Recaro SRD or Corbeau A4 are probably in line with what you're lookign for.

Personally i've been thinking i'd like to get a pair of S2000 seats and try them out. OEM quality, and they're cheap. But will they fit....?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM
dykaar
Racer

I have the Recaro SRD. Bought it for the wife when she was pregnant and made adapters for her Mazda Protege. Paid extra for the crotch belt slot and moved it to the 951 after my son was born. The stock OEM seat in my 944 was so slippery, I would have to wedge my knee against the door as I went into turns on the track. The OEM sport seats in the 951 were better, but not nearly as good as the cloth SRD and the Recaro doesn't have power anything to weigh it down. I got no hips and I'm 6ft, so I like the narrow seats. The Recaro is actually a series, and the SR-D version was the most narrow. You could combine backs and bottoms depending on, well, your back and bottom.

Regards,

doug
Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh

86 951 (http://www.pcaucr.org/index.php/visu...egory&catid=61)
01 E320 (W210) 4-matic Wagon (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...body-do-2.html)
00 540i-6 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hp?albumid=976)
94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
76 300D (sold in 92)
83 944 (sold in 86)
I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers
Old 11-12-2010, 02:37 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id stay away from junk like that. No offense.

I do not consider those knock off seats to be an "upgrade." Buy the real thing, not a copy. If you are interested in seats like the one you posted, look into Recaro SRD or Corbeau.

I don't recommend any tube frame seat either. Even though they may be certified, they generally are not comfortable.

My advice to you- keep eyes on classifieds on NASA, SCCA, Pelican, here, etc.. You WILL find a good deal eventually. FYI I got my seats on ebay for 850 shipped to my door... Recaro Profi SPG and Recaro Pole Position. The pole position was brand new. Additionally, a lot of racers get rid of their seats once the sticker expires. Great for DE or street applications.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
alan t
Instructor

A great value seat is the Corbeau FX-1 Pro. It comes in two different widths, so I got the narrow seat for myself and the wider seat for the passenger side. Although I would consider Recaro Pole Positions if I had the money, these are a fraction of the price and worked great on the track. They sit a pretty upright, but you get used to it quickly and can put spacers at the front floor holes. One downside is that it's a fixed seat, so you can't use the back seats anymore. As if they were useful anyways . That doesn't bother me at all. The only other thing to consider is that if you're tall (over 6ft), I would get the side-mounting brackets since the standard brackets sit a little high. FWIW the stock power seats felt really heavy in comparison, but I never actually weight either of the seats. I bought mine from apexperformance.net, and they had great customer service.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

second post got it. personally, i would not go cheap on seats.

having said that, i am lost on the Recaro product line. the stuff that interested me seems quite pricey.

if i couldn't have my seats, the Sparco Evo's offer the comfort and support i need for long distance drives.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:03 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got a Corbeau Forza for myself and a Forza II (wider) as a passenger seat. It was the modification that dropped me the most time at AutoX. I had power sport seats, so I was always crouching with my helmet on and my butt would slide around. Being properly braced is so nice on track. I also have done quite a few full day road trips in the seat, I've owned them for years (had them in my 924 previously) and find them very comfortable.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at Corbeau's site, they have some decently priced options. I try to stick to quality stuff when it comes to cars and firearms. Buy once, cry once.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the Cobra Imola 2 in my car, which has been my daily driver all this year. They're cheap as far as a Kevlar constructed, FIA approved seats go and I find them to be surprisingly comfortable.
The Imola 2 is a little wider than the regular Imola. The regular Imola would fit me better for track use, but using the '2 is probably a better choice for the street. Then if you need to, shim the wider seat with padding to get it snug at your waist. Of course this depends on your body type.
In the end though, the fit will come down to preference. Do whatever you can to sit in as many different types of seats. I tried Recaro SRD, they were nice, and I probably would have no complaint if I bought them, but being able to switch between the Cobra and Recaro at the same location, I knew the Cobra was a better fit for me. My friend, on the other hand, preferred the Recaro's fit.

Quick Reply: best racing seats for the money