Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterpump leak, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Waterpump leak, what should I do?

it's not as stupid of a question as it sounds i guess. I've had a new coolant leak ever since replacing my radiator and I was just living with it, topping off the coolant if it got low, my temp has been fine so I wasn't too worried. I took the car to my mechanic today just to finally see what it was, and sure enough, the gaskets around the waterpump are leaking. Question is this, do I really need to get a new pump/belts/etc right now or can I live with this a bit longer? I just dont think I have a grand to throw at this problem right now, and the car seems to be just fine the way it is with the minor leak.

So. How urgent is it to fix the leaks around the water pump? Leaks around the waterpump dont mean the waterpump itself is going, right? Getting to the waterpump gaskets does require taking all the belts off so it makes sense to do those and the rollers if doing it at all, right? oh yea, what are rollers? Seriously, is it the spindles that the belts sit on?

One more thing, I was looking through the old posts but I cant find it.. how annoying.. who said they knew a great shop in CT that knew how to tension 944S belts properly? I was thinking about having them do the work. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the less time the car sits in the shop the more useful all the money I throw away on it is Thanks.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

actually, to be quite honest with myself, i dont want to do this repair now at all. i want to put it off till may. how bad would it be to just let it leak a bit until then? shouldnt do any harm right? i hope.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:15 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Operator,

Rollers are the round things that the belts ride on (sometimes called pulleys) they are worth replacing with a belt change depending on their condition.
As for you waterpump, I personally wouldn't be comfortable driving around in a 944 with a leaky pump, just because of the
possibility of catastrophic failure if your pump seizes-$$$$-especially on an S. That being said, I did drive my old Jeep Cherokee from Idaho to PA. with a leaky pump(which I promptly replaced when I got home).
Old 03-20-2002, 04:06 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

screw it.
im getting it done.
new belts, new pump, new gaskets, new seals, new rollers. bye bye money, seeya later!
Old 03-20-2002, 10:35 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Op6:

I feel you're pain, as I also have a coolant leak. I haven't checked for the source, but the coolant is dripping around the waterpump area, so I'm prepared for the worse. What's even worse is that the belts and front seals were done about 5-6k miles ago by the PO.

I figure when this is done, with some luck, we'll have a worry-free car?!

sm
Old 03-20-2002, 10:45 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

yea, better be worry-free! then again.. i have an S so I have a cam chain tensioner inside the head to worry about but.. my car only has 58k miles.. so ill just wait till 90 before tackling that one.. and then by that time do the belts and pump again... go belts go.. well, lets just see if the show can do it right first .. my fingers are crossed. oh yea, does anyone know if you can do the motor mounts without touching the belts/waterpump/etc? i might wanna do those later... sigh.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:52 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

One bit of good news for your wallet. Motor mounts can wait....Do not come into play during the belt/pump change.

Cheers,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

i know, but i was just thinking i should do them sometime soon.... but i guess ill wait on those .. and whatever else wants to break on me
Old 03-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been very happy with the work Speed Sport Tuning has done on my 944...They've done a few things to my 944, they do a lot of Porsche work. They're in Norwalk. I haven't had anything done by them in a while, but here's the number on my invoice from years ago: 203.847.9339

Quick Reply: Waterpump leak, what should I do?