Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xpost: DIY Projector HID Setup for ~$200

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just googled it

Dapperlighting.com

I like the 7 inch classic kit -$270. If you upgrade from halogen to xenon with ballast, add another $100.

Interesting idea.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:27 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

http://www.dapperlighting.com/collec...ssic-projector

I think the "halogen" just refers to a regular white color for the xenon but I could be wrong. As for ballasts I thought they were required with this type of lighting?? and is there any advantage to 55w or 35w? I presume the 35w Mitsus are the slim version of the ballasts.

Good that they have offered a solution for us, site needs "info" links next to options, assume like me that not everyone knows what options to choose or what works with what.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Dutch_944
Track Day

Interesting . Please note the bottom of the page, where it says they are not DOT approved and may only be used offroad. Neither are homebrew HIDs, but that's a known issue.

Furthermore, these lenses are very popular. If you look for them on ebay, you'll find these : http://www.ebay.com/bhp/7-round-projector-headlight

The main question is : is there any difference between a HID projector and these projector headlights with Halogen rating on it. You can clearly see the rating in the plastic :

In my opinion, the HID projector needs more depth physically. This means you eather will touch the bar, or need to remove parts of it. They make them for American muscle cars :

Notice how far the glass protrudes from the rim. There is also a clear vid :

And if you are scared to do it yourself, there is a guy making them to your liking. He works under the name Sick HIDs and it is just that. It's sick, truly awesome!

But for our 944s, we need the 7" ers : http://www.youtube.com/user/liteitup...rch?query=7%22

So, when you take a cheap halogen-projectorish headlight and pit HIDs in them, you might end up with this :

I would love to see the same picture with the Dappers installed.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:11 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a pic of my car.

The kit really is a halogen projector conversion and the HID is an add on option, so when the kit comes you also get the h1 halogen bulbs. My guess with the more expensive ballasts is quicker fire up time. for example, when i turn them on at the beginning of an onramp, they are fully warmed up by the time I'm merging on the highway. i'd say it takes a few seconds.

I can tell you that the light output is a significant improvement over the hella eurocodes 55/100w i had in there before. i also run 100w driving lights at the same time so i rarely need high beams.

As for the beam pattern, its not as good as my audi or my girls acura. not as sharp and widespread. i honestly believe its dues to the fact that most modern cars have a dedicated low beam projector lens and a separate high beam lens. These units have a shield inside that cuts off the beam for low and pops up for high. as a result i think it cuts back on the super sharp line. still it is a definite beam cutoff line there. it could also be the quality of the lens but i can't compare it to the lights used in the custom setup in this thread. i will try and take a pic of the beam pattern soon. car is kinda trapped behind another car on jack stands at the moment.

i can tell you overall, I'm happy with it. i don't care about the cosmetic part so much because they are pop up lights. installation was pretty simple. it is plug and play. most time was taken finding a place to mount the ballasts. i do wonder if the projector lenses used in this thread are better than what i have, but i haven't felt the need to change yet. and again…i didn't have to cut anything at all and the lights move up and down without interference.

oh yeah, another BIG factor that made me go with them was if a rock broke my headlight i can buy a replacement from them. with a custom modified headlight bucket, i'd have to do all that labor all over again.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Edit... Read back in thread and answered my own post.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

I doubt they're cheap, and have no idea if they'd really be plug-and-play as advertised (for a 944), but here are some 7" LED headlights which may be another alternative.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/he...product=500249
Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by culture
Here is a pic of my car.

The kit really is a halogen projector conversion and the HID is an add on option, so when the kit comes you also get the h1 halogen bulbs. My guess with the more expensive ballasts is quicker fire up time. for example, when i turn them on at the beginning of an onramp, they are fully warmed up by the time I'm merging on the highway. i'd say it takes a few seconds.

I can tell you that the light output is a significant improvement over the hella eurocodes 55/100w i had in there before. i also run 100w driving lights at the same time so i rarely need high beams.

As for the beam pattern, its not as good as my audi or my girls acura. not as sharp and widespread. i honestly believe its dues to the fact that most modern cars have a dedicated low beam projector lens and a separate high beam lens. These units have a shield inside that cuts off the beam for low and pops up for high. as a result i think it cuts back on the super sharp line. still it is a definite beam cutoff line there. it could also be the quality of the lens but i can't compare it to the lights used in the custom setup in this thread. i will try and take a pic of the beam pattern soon. car is kinda trapped behind another car on jack stands at the moment.

i can tell you overall, I'm happy with it. i don't care about the cosmetic part so much because they are pop up lights. installation was pretty simple. it is plug and play. most time was taken finding a place to mount the ballasts. i do wonder if the projector lenses used in this thread are better than what i have, but i haven't felt the need to change yet. and again…i didn't have to cut anything at all and the lights move up and down without interference.

oh yeah, another BIG factor that made me go with them was if a rock broke my headlight i can buy a replacement from them. with a custom modified headlight bucket, i'd have to do all that labor all over again.
Looks great!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Wow, these speaker ECE leds look really promising. They are ugly but they can be hidden during the day.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Voith
Wow, these speaker ECE leds look really promising. They are ugly but they can be hidden during the day.
What's the point of LED headlights? From what I've seen those cost like $700+ for the pair. Why the heck would anybody spend that kind of money on lights like that when they could do professional luxury car HID projectors for ~$200?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 AM
bumflick
Racer

Culture, nice pic of the install. Do you have any shots that show the light output?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i took this tonight. back about 8-10ft from garage door.

again, i'll admit its not as sharp as some other beams out there, but it does the job. bottom line, if you aren't able to DIY and make your own, this kit is the best option i've been able to come across.

who knows, maybe i'll try the DIY approach one day, just to do it, but this ease and results of this kit puts me in no real hurry.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: xpost: DIY Projector HID Setup for ~$200