Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding power locks to 86 951 with 968 parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Prospeed_Motorsport
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding power locks to 86 951 with 968 parts

OK I know there are several posts about adding power door locks to the older 951 that didn't come with them but it seems most (if not all) of those conversions were done with aftermarket rather than facotry components. I'm wondering if anyone has added power locks with the 968 pieces. I have the 968 doors with the locks, door handles, etc all there and am curious how big/difficult a job it would be to hang those on my 86 951 and integrate. The wiring for the console mounted lock switch is in the car but I haven't examined the door wiring itself.

Hoping someone has done this before and can offer some advice.

Thx.

Michael
Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I added factory power locks to my 951. I used a door wiring harness from a 944 that had power locks. I had to separate the door lock part of the harness from the complete door harness. After doing this you can run the lock harness through the door boot and plug them into the plugs that should be in your car. Using the 968 harness should be the same.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Prospeed_Motorsport
Banned

Thx. I haven't dug into the doors/wiring harness to see whats there yet, but this was what I was thinking. AS the 968 doors already have the locks et al in them, it should be just an issue for integrating the harness from the 968 doors into the 951

(of course we know NOTHING will easy and simple)
Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mirror connectors on the 968 door harness are different of course and the placement of the wiring for the speakers is like the 10 speaker setup on the 944.

I believe to add power door locks to a non-equipped car you would need the following items

Internal door latch mechanisms on both sides (there is an extra arm)
door harnesses
door handle microswitches
actuators on both sides and mounting hardware
door lock computer
door lock switch
(If you are going for the lighted post look then those as well)
Old 11-10-2010, 11:19 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You shouldn't need the door latch mechanism. On mine, there was a weight clipped in the hole where the arm from the actuator connects. Pulled the hair clip, removed the weight, and the arm connected without an issue.

Your best bet is to source 944 door harnesses. I've done this twice on my '87 - once with the harness from an '86 to add the door locks and again with a later 944 harness when I installed the 10-speaker setup. So I happen to have a set of 1986 door harnesses with the power door lock provisions if you're interested in them. The wires for the mirrors have been cut, but if you're handy with a soldering iron, they're easily fixed. Or I can rebuild these harnesses for you from top to bottom.

I'm not sure what you would need for the lighted posts though. I believe there has to be a provision in the harness for them and I don't know if they're compatible with the earlier door lock computer.

Before you start on anything, check your current harness. There will be two unused connectors - one will be a big round connector near the latch mechanism that is for the actuator. The other one is a small round connector about mid-way across the bottom and will be clipped into place. That one is for the door lock switch. You probably don't have the provisions if your car wasn't originally equipped with power locks, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Prospeed_Motorsport
Banned

Thx JoshB

As I have the 968 doors as they came off the car, I have all the lock, harness, microswitches, actuators, switch, computer and the led posts all still on the doors. Think for this as taking the doors directly off a working car and bolting them on to another car. The onlly thing being is the 951 doesn't have power locks so I expect there to be some wiring issues. That said, the 951 does have the wiring in the console for the lock switch and of course I already have that switch (from the 968) installed and plugged into the 951 harness as that connector was already there.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Prospeed_Motorsport
Banned

Thx CurtP

That was the kind of info I was looking for. Not completely following you on the latch mechanism, particularly as all of this is already on the 968 doors. I may want to speak to you directly about the harness issue. The 968 had the 10 speaker setup so that is already a part of the in-door harness and th ecomputer is coming from the 968 also so I would think there would be some provision in the computer to activate the leds. In fact the LEDs are still attached to the door lock shafts that come up from the micro switch.

Pls send me your email and phone via PM so I can speak to you regarding the 951 harness

Thx guys. I knew there had to be someone out there that had done this and could help
Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you swapping door guts or entire doors? Are you going to be using the 10-speaker setup? The only real issue I see is the pinouts on the body side of the wiring harness. I don't know if the 968 is pinned the same as the 944, nor do I know if the door lock computers are the same. First thing I'd do is sit down with the electrical schematic from the '86 and whatever year the 968 is to see if they're wired the same. I'd also check to see if the part numbers for the door lock computer is the same between a 944 and 968. If the wiring is the same and the computer is the same, everything should be fairly easy. One thing that I know is different in the harness is the 968 had a temperature probe in the driver's side mirror - the 944 didn't.

As for the latch mechanism - if you're swapping entire doors, then it isn't even an issue. If you're swapping guts, you shouldn't have to replace your existing latches. The third arm for the lock actuator is there, but you'll have to remove a clip and a weight so the actuator arm can connect to it. Takes 2 seconds to do.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

If used with remote operated alarm, microswitches and computer is not needed, since you dont need central locking to be actuated if operated by keylock.

Quick Reply: Adding power locks to 86 951 with 968 parts