Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I recently bought a Gemballa '86 944 turbo, need some tips!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002 | 10:47 AM
greenbeast
Intermediate

Post I recently bought a Gemballa '86 944 turbo, need some tips!!

Hi everyone. I'm new on this forum. I'm from Panama country. I love sports cars, so I have 2 Corvettes, '89 convertible with 750rwhp and a '99 C5 hardtop with 650rwhp. Both cars are street and daily drive cars. If you are interested in the specs of both cars, you can find it in corvetteforum.com

Ok, the things is that I recently bought a '86 Porsche 944 turbo. I bought that car from a friend of mine with a very good price.
As I mentioned before, I have like cars with extremely high HP because I love to go fastttt. So here is the project for this 944.
The car is red with 55,000 miles and has complete Gemballa body kit with the rear adjustable wing and with those supose aftermarket stuff:

- Non turbo camshaft
- K-27 turbo
- Authotority chips
- Gemballa complete exhaust system
- Strut bar, caster and camber plate
- Ruf 17" wheels all the corner

I love this car and if feels very nice.

I bought this car for just 1 reason, ROAD RACE PURPOSE, since I have heared that this is the right car for roadracing. Is that correct??

The thing is I'm not familiar with this car and I need some tips and advice from you to help me to build this car for road race. I don't want to waste the moneny, I want to do it in a right way step by step.
Anyone knows where is the place or shop I can contact to find some good aftermarket stuff for racing in a good price.
Somebody told me about Powerhouse, buy they said that the price is soooo high and have many other good option shop for less money.

Thanks for any comments and for your help...
Old 10-05-2002 | 12:23 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Tim at <a href="http://www.speedforceracing.com" target="_blank">www.speedforceracing.com</a>

AND

Dan at <a href="http://www.gururacing.net" target="_blank">www.gururacing.net</a>
Old 10-05-2002 | 12:42 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Question

sorry i don't have any tips for you, but i'm wondering why it would have an n/a camshaft instead of a turbo camshaft? whats the benefit supposed to be... more lift? more overlap? advanced or retarded timing?

just curious,
Mike
Old 10-05-2002 | 01:02 PM
Danno
Race Director

Wink

"why it would have an n/a camshaft instead of a turbo camshaft? whats the benefit supposed to be... more lift? more overlap? advanced or retarded timing?"

Hmmm, I've got a cam-comparison diagram on my <a href="http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx" target="_blank">951 RacerX website</a> under the 'Specifications' section. The differences are mimimal and if you got a 944NA cam from an '82-85 car, it's exactly the same one as used on the 944 Turbo. A bigger HP gain can be had by simply bolting on an adjustable cam-gear and retarding the cam by 4-5 degrees. This would also combat the kamikazi diving torque curve on hopped-up 944 Turbos as well. The cam should really be the last step after you've done turbo & intercooler, intake & exhaust, EFI, injectors, wastegate and head port&polish upgrades simply because the HP-gained/dollar-spent ratio is so low.
Old 10-05-2002 | 01:27 PM
Stephen
Instructor

Man I would love to see some pics of your car ,is there anyway you could post some ?
Old 10-05-2002 | 07:24 PM
greenbeast
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by stephen:
<strong>Man I would love to see some pics of your car ,is there anyway you could post some ? </strong><hr></blockquote>

I have some pics but don't know how to post it, anyone can help me?
Old 10-05-2002 | 07:38 PM
sweanders
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by greenbeast:
<strong>

I have some pics but don't know how to post it, anyone can help me?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can post them on the swedish 944 board.. Just mail them to me, fantanders@hotmail.com

/A
Old 10-05-2002 | 07:39 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by greenbeast:
<strong>

I have some pics but don't know how to post it, anyone can help me?</strong><hr></blockquote>

click this link:

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/upload.html" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/upload.html</a>

and upload the picture from your computer and then it will give u a link. copy the link and then come back to the post page and click the IMAGE button to the right of the smiley faces and paste that link. it will automatically update into the post.

SHAUN

Quick Reply: I recently bought a Gemballa '86 944 turbo, need some tips!!