Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 power steering leak and right side suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:23 PM
snoel
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 power steering leak and right side suspension

I am leaking PS fluid from what appears to be the connection of the left boot to the rack. I imagine there is a seal right in there. Should I replace entire rack
($500.00), rebuild seals ($100, but more time involved), use Lucas PS leak fix (appears just to be really thick PS fluid) until it gets really bad. Anyone ever use PS leak fix?

Right side suspension height on both front and back wheels is about 1/4 inch lower than left. Normal?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:50 PM
elzergone
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do no use the power steering leak fix stuff!!

Our cars use ATF fluid in the power steering, putting other stuff in there is asking for trouble. I've yet to get around to fixing my leak, but I'm sure some other listers will chime in with recommendations.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

I am just finishing up the rebuild of my rack. I didn't have too many problems except for removing the seal from the control tower. Once I get it in I will let you know.

Elzergone

Is it bad if I had been using power steering fluid? I didn't realize that the power steering would get anything other than power steering fluid. I always have the mechanic put headlight fluid in my headlights I figured the same thing here.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
hopps
Instructor

Check autozone for your PS rack. I believe I got mine for less than $200, and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

As for the suspension, I don't think that would be normal. You could try checking the struts by just pushing down on the car in the areas above where the strut/shocks are. If the car bounces up, it most likely isn't the strut/shocks....if it stays compressed or takes reallllly long to come back up, you might want to get those replaced. (again, if you're not looking for performance, check autozone. Strut inserts for the front on my car were $20 a piece. Rears were about $40each)
Old 10-29-2010, 05:03 PM
po9rs4ch4e
Advanced

Originally Posted by hopps
Check autozone for your PS rack. I believe I got mine for less than $200, and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
how good or reliable would a p/s rack be from autozone? is it worth it for the price?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...equestid=40712

looks like that is the price still. I wish I had known that before I got $125 in parts into mine.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 AM
hopps
Instructor

It's been good for everyday driving. I did a couple AutoX with it, and a little over a year later the rack went bad on me. But it was under warranty, so I got a new one within 2 days, and it came with tie rod ends and all! I didn't pay for that the first time :b

As long as you don't plan on tracking it, I think the Autozone rebuilt one would be great, especially for the price. You could spend all that time to take the rack off, spend $125 on a reseal kit, and reseal it, of you could just swap it out for a little extra, plus it has a lifetime warranty. Honestly though, I don't think it will go out every year, I think I just got unlucky with mine and it went out.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:38 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i put one in for a friend of mine from autozone- seemed pretty nice besides being sprayed black- not sure what the difference would be - a rebuilt rack is a rebuilt rack. Just make sure you use ATF as the seals are different for the ps fluid.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:40 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you replace the ps system and 35 K miles later looking at oil-soaked bushings again or can that be prevented ?

atf/oil proof bushings ?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snoel
I am leaking PS fluid from what appears to be the connection of the left boot to the rack. I imagine there is a seal right in there. Should I replace entire rack
($500.00), rebuild seals ($100, but more time involved), use Lucas PS leak fix (appears just to be really thick PS fluid) until it gets really bad. Anyone ever use PS leak fix?

Right side suspension height on both front and back wheels is about 1/4 inch lower than left. Normal?

Thanks.
I am on year 2 of an AutoZone PS rack LLT warranty with no problems.
Never use stop leak unless you plan to replace your rack in 2 or 3 months. It will slow the leak and then it will get worse.

When you replace the rack, replace the PS reservoir--there is a filter inside at the bottom.
Get the shorter reservoir to PS pump hose and fitting---updated.
Get new tie rod ends if yours are cut or rotted.

An alignment is required. May help the Right side height issue. They will check the shocks and they may need replacement. No store brand shocks or KYB.

GL
John
Old 10-30-2010, 10:49 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Can you guys confirm if the autozone rack comes with the inner tie rods (complete rack minus the tie rod ends?)
Old 10-31-2010, 04:27 AM
snoel
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Good advise as always. I will repotrt back.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Ben Waite
Advanced

Go with a manual rack and be done with those problems forever. I did, and its the best thing i have done to the car to date. There really is very little difference wile driving. A little stiff when parking but no belts no pumps no hoses no leaks no problems. Just save all the original parts should you end up selling the car the new owner may want them.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:15 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

I checked and the manual rack from Autozone is 335 ish before core charge. Not too sure if they will take a power rack as a core for a manual rack.

I mangled my rebuild and I am not even going to put it back on the car. The banjo bolts I got directly from Porsche clearly don't fit right, I nicked the hell out of the inside seal, I broke a sealing ring, and I think I cracked one of the hard lines putting it all back together so I am going to call this a lesson learned.

I ordered the rack from autozone this morning and it should ship in 3-5 days. They have a deal where you get $15 in gift cards for every $100 you spend online. I added tie rod ends and brakes for my Element for a net cost of $250.

That discount brings the price down to effectively $170 for the power rack or under $300 before taxes for the manual rack.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
.... No store brand shocks or KYB.

GL
John
What do you mean? Personally the "store brand" shocks at AZ are mostly cheap **** Monroes, not worth the time and money to install. I've used KYB's twice and would rate them B+, they're not Konis but they cost half as much.

Quick Reply: 944 power steering leak and right side suspension