Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 power steering leak and right side suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:43 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
What do you mean? Personally the "store brand" shocks at AZ are mostly cheap **** Monroes, not worth the time and money to install. I've used KYB's twice and would rate them B+, they're not Konis but they cost half as much.
Hhhhmmm,

We both agree on the "cheap **** Monroes" although I do use them on my '98 Cherokee and have used them on my '85 Cherokee (sold)

I owned a 1970 914 (gone) for over 20 years and I put KYBs on a couple of times because as a poor college student/part time job/new hire, I could not afford better. Later I used Koni with Michelin tires---entire different car.

The 924S and 944 are different. You expect certain "feel" and response when you drive the car and not "compromise". Quote (many posts) " KYBs are a little soft and you can feel the corners...." I know the "feel" after using KYBs on a 914.

I use Boge/Sachs now for over 12-14 years and am very happy.
Bilstein or Koni would be other choices. I'll stick with Boge/Sachs with my Yokohama tires.

John

Last edited by John_AZ; 10-31-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Koni-----
Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelK
I checked and the manual rack from Autozone is 335 ish before core charge. Not too sure if they will take a power rack as a core for a manual rack.

I mangled my rebuild and I am not even going to put it back on the car. The banjo bolts I got directly from Porsche clearly don't fit right, I nicked the hell out of the inside seal, I broke a sealing ring, and I think I cracked one of the hard lines putting it all back together so I am going to call this a lesson learned.

I ordered the rack from autozone this morning and it should ship in 3-5 days. They have a deal where you get $15 in gift cards for every $100 you spend online. I added tie rod ends and brakes for my Element for a net cost of $250.

That discount brings the price down to effectively $170 for the power rack or under $300 before taxes for the manual rack.
You got a great on the AutoZone deal.
The tie rod ends I got from AutoZone were the exact same length of the OEM I pulled off. I had marked the position on the threads----Screwed in the new ends and checked my toe in. Exactly the same as when I took the old ones off.

You can do a simple toe in check if you want with this DIY...
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ome_toe_in.htm

GL
John
Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was a good price. I actually paid more for my replacement seat belt than I did for the PS rack.

That info on the alignment is great. I actually priced an alignment at my local shop into the budget. Like tensioning the timing belt I felt like it was just good piece of mind for the money. I figure they will also look over the rest of what I did and make sure I didn't mess up something else in a way that will fail catastrophically.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Make sure to get some bellows. My AZ rack came without them, and they weren't available locally. Bummer waiting to install...
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelK
... Like tensioning the timing belt I felt like it was just good piece of mind for the money. I figure they will also look over the rest of what I did and make sure I didn't mess up something else in a way that will fail catastrophically.
I wouldn't count on it, depends on the shop. Unless you have the service writer put it on the order, they won't center the steering wheel. They'll look for obvious signs of wear (= work they can sell you) but unless you ask them to do something specific, alignments are almost always priced as a "loss leader" to get you in the door, and you'll get the slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am in-and-out. Be specific, expect to pay a little more, but definitely worth it if it's a good shop. Insist on getting the printouts of before and after alignment (tell the service writer up-front you want them)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

The shop is actually a dedicated Porsche shop that has lent me tools in the past and is my go to for IRL advice. The owner actually races 944's on the weekend so I expect that he will do it right. A guy that works in my building sent me there and they have been invaluable. If anyone is in the Baltimore area and wants the info pm me.

Quick Reply: 944 power steering leak and right side suspension