Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 02:18 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Okay fiddling under the hood. Still getting stumbles, but much more radomly. Sometimes very bad.

Looking at the coil wires. There are at least two splices in both wires. I've looked at the wiring diagram. But it's not jiving with underhood.

I have two wires off the coil. - wire comes up. meets up with the cable pack going under the headlight motor. Assume this goes to ground at some point. + wire comes up, goes to a small box/relay on the other side of the battery compartment (Made in Japan, not sure what it is) Then comes back and meets up with the cable pack going down to the headlight motor, which should then go to the DME.

Question is can I bypass this small box/Relay and at least rule it out. Cant go with wire colors because there is at least 6 different colors all spliced in.

Other bit of info. The mall japanese box/relay is isolated from chassis ground with a rubber moounting bushing.

Secondary question. What is a good replacement coil. I'd get an Accell at the parts store, but for the non standard wires.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:41 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Multiple posts. Sorry editing them out.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:50 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Damn Snitz

Bumpity bump bump.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:24 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Ahhhhh NEed an actual post to bump.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:38 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two wires to the coil. One is a hot wire from the ignition switch. The other is from the DME. The one from the DME grounds the coil to make it spark.

The added box just may be for an alarm. Cuts or grounds the coil wire to disable the car. Since it's isolated most likely cuts the wire. For the stock alarms the coil wire is grounded at the DME.

Check the clearance for the speed and referance sensors.

Unless the stock coil has burst it's more than enough, with good stock plug wires, to do the job.

Some use a smaller gap on the plugs.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:14 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Thanks
Old 10-26-2002, 10:24 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Turns out the gap was wrong. something made me think. I had bought another gapper on the way to work to do a variety of things. Buddy gapped them and I checked. Then I got to thinking about it. The tool seemed way thick on the short end. Pulled the plugs and checked with my gapper that i've had for awhile (But had forgot. They were all almost .040. Running beautifully now, My wallet is just short the cost of the wires.

Also pulled the seats, new seat covers and fixed the Parking brake (PO just couldn't figure out how to put it together) and a variety of smalle stuff.

Anyone know where I can get a complete shifter?

Quick Reply: Plug Wires