Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at a 944 tomorrow - is 150k miles too much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's plenty of Rennlist wisdom here... mileage is really of little consequence on something this old. Records are of prime importance. Look for clues about how it has been cared for. Details can reveal if it has been loved or ridden hard & put away wet.... (now there's a cliche that sounds a little wierd these days).
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
cobradvm
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow - thanks for all the replies - the seller has dropped the price to $4k and there's probably some wiggle room on that - I think it's being consigned through a used car dealer.

Next question - I have found another one for sale - a 1987 944 S with 61k miles on the clock - owner is asking $8,900. I haven't seen the car as it's about an hour and half drive away from me. Supposedly it has been very well cared for. Is it worth the extra $4 to $5k for the low mileage one? If the high mileage one looks clean, and has good records, I'm leaning towards that one, but I'm interested in hearing thoughts from folks with more experience that I have with the these cars.

FWIW I'm more familiar with american muscle. I have an older Fox body mustang (1990) that's been overhauled from front to rear. I've also just finished building a Factory Five cobra replica. That took a couple of years. If anyone's interested here's a link to my finished photos. Engine is 408W making 450+ to the rear wheels - it's a hoot to drive.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM
racer
Drifting

As to your original post.. I'd look for receipts of rebuild of the LSD.. No way it still working at 150K miles.

Clutch's cost about $2k for a shop to replace (fugure $500 in parts and about 10 hours in labor). Consider finding one with recent clutch work, or be prepared to budget for its eventual demise. Timing Belts are key too.. they skip and wham! valves hit pistons. 16V motors have an additional cam timing chain that sits on a plastic guide. The plastic, with age and heat, fails.. and wham.. now you are replacing a 16V head which is more $$.

As to the mileage/value question.. well.. most will say "no"... some will say "yes" others.. a maybe.

Unless you plan on keeping mileage low, there is no benefit. These are not collector cars (yet?) and as such, low mileage isn't prized.. Superlow mileage, perhaps (ie, sub 20K)

That said, I fell for a lower mileage example (38K when I bought it last year) and given its overall condition and recent maintenance, was willing to pay a market high price. The more time you spend out here, the more time you read about folks having problems.. and maintaining on the cheap.. and quite frankly, these cars, while CHEAP to buy are NOT generally, cheap to maintain, especially if you need to pay high shop labor rates or find "unobtainium" style parts!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 PM
kingston944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good time to buy one with LS1 already in it .LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Yea only 61K sounds enticing assuming the owner has records to prove it. Consider that things like clutch, water pump, engine oil seals, etc. will need to be done sooner than later if they are original.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:56 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

i would never buy a car with 61K just like i would never buy a car with 350K unless i knew that all of those major items had been taken car of recently...age, especially dormant unused age, is just as bad (sometimes worse) than use when it comes to a car...regardless of miles or how much the car was babied i've heard of timing belts being original on these cars...with 60-100K miles. So really what counts are the receipts and things like checking the rubber on the car especially if the car has been left outside uncovered.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Keaton944
Instructor

ya cars that sit with low miles worry me more than cars with high miles that are being driven. The low mile car that sits, no one drives it so no one knows what could be failing or has failed on it. the one that someone is driving this **** out of everyday will know every little thing that is wrong and will have replaced the things that needed replacing such as belts and water pump and other rubber/plastic parts and may have even upgraded stuff such as suspension and whatnot.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the squirrel eating the air filter story was very interesting.

to ruin an engine because someone breathes in dirt, animal droppings, like wow.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 AM
safulop
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah well there's that old saying, an old low-mileage car is nothing like a new car; it's just an old car that wasn't driven. There are many circumstances under which I would prefer a 150K 944 to a 60K 944. It all depends on service records and condition at purchase.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Putyoursoxon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 86 944 with 146k for $1000 the tranny was out of the car and the clutch was blown, but the interior is mint but that gave me a chance to change the clutch along with the rear main seal and all the bearings, cost for all the parts was around $600, I'll be doing the front seals and belts and pump soon so unless he has documented all of those things done in the recent past I think even 4k is a little high

Quick Reply: Going to look at a 944 tomorrow - is 150k miles too much?