Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy might have seized his engine.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:11 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy might have seized his engine.

Hey all.

I was changing the timing belts on my 'new' 85.5 944. Everything was aligned as it was when I took the belts off, but now I can't crank the engine: it just makes a loud clunk.

When I pull the dizzy cap off, and hand-crank the engine CCW, the dizzy rotor stops at about 2 o'clock (and I cannot crank the engine any further in that direction) I can then hand-crank until the rotor reaches about 6 o'clock. in between the two positions, I can hear a 'pfft' sound, but then the engine stops again, and I can't continue to hand crank it.

Did I screw up my engine/valves/rods? Did I really learn a very expensive lesson, or am I still ok?

Thanks all!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Take off everything, fit it correct and pray for the best..
Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 PM
dykaar
Racer

There are writeups out there on how to align the timing marks on the crank and cam. I've never done it myself. I'd suggest NOT trying to start it until its sorted.

Regards,

doug
Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh

86 951
01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon
00 540i-6
94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
76 300D (sold in 92)
83 944 (sold in 86)
I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers
Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

If I did bone my engine, would it be worth more as a roller (interior is in good condition) or parted out?

A full replacement is a bit out of my budget. By a bit I mean totally.

Thanks for your input, everyone.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you didn't force it to rotate when it didn't want to you should be O.K. Do keep in mind even with the plugs out the valve springs will create varying resistance to turning the crankshaft by hand. To make sure the crank really is a TDC, look in the (infamous) 'window' on top of the bellhousing for the TDC mark on the flywheel. If it isn't there you may have the crank 180 degrees out of phase...
Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your engine is not 'Seized'... Because it's rotating!

It sounds like a valve is hitting a piston...

If you discovered this issue using the starter motor...-There is a pretty good possibility a valve/s will not be perfect... Bent maybe...

If you discovered this issue turning the engine over by hand you are fine!

There are 3 timing marks that must be lined up.
- Notches on the Cam Gear and Cam Housing must line up
- Under the car the Flywheel has a mark on it, that must line up inside of a slot on the bellhousing
- Looking from the top of the engine there is a tiny window with two marks inside there (hard to see)

Go to Clark's Garage and see " Locating and Setting Engine to TDC "

Always Turn the engine over by hand, after setting the timing! On any engine! The force you will exert by hand is not enough to cause any real damage... the Starter Motor however is a very powerful motor, capable of causing real damage...

Check the timing marks, remove the Timing Belt, reset to TDC, install the belt, turn by hand several time (with no spark plugs in the engine..)

Let us know how it turns out!

Good Luck, you might be ok.

-Peter
Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 PM
kobayashi
Rennlist Member

I put a 3/8" socket extension in the #1 spark plug. You cannot turn the engine with it in there, but it is a good way to see where the piston is. Once I get the piston to the top, I then look for the TDC makr on the flywheel. Sometimes it is hard to see.

If anything, you probably just bent the valves. You can take the head off the engine pretty easily with everything in the car. Replace and lap the valves, then put it back together.

Don't give up yet! If it is 2 valves, you can probably fix it for $150 - $200 (and that will get you new gaskets).
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Agreed, it's only a Bad mistake if you don't fix it ^^^
Old 10-20-2010, 04:46 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

So after a friend with lots of 944 experience came by and took a look: I'm boned. So it looks like I'm going to be parting this thing out, as I cannot afford to replace what has been broken. I'm so heartbroken, but wanted to let the Listers know where it stood.

Thanks for your help and your encouraging words.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Just pull the head off and have it rebuilt. Most machine shops can handle it. Check your pistons before you spend any $$ but you are probably ok on the bottem end.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM
dykaar
Racer

Before you start parting, pull the head and have a good look. You'd be pulling the head even if you part it out. A used head isn't that much. Look first part later.

Regards,

doug
Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh

86 951
01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon
00 540i-6
94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
76 300D (sold in 92)
83 944 (sold in 86)
I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers
Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 PM
aben8057
Drifting

ditto...dont give up so easy.

What did your friend say, what did he do to analyze the issue? It sounds like the engine never turned over which could mean your timing is off and only needs to be set correctly.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it possible the damage was done BEFORE you changed belts? Why did you change belts, did they break or was this just preventative?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 PM
elzergone
Pro

Don't give up!

After my tbelt stripped I managed to rebuild the head and get the car running again for under 400 bucks. You can do it!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Default Update

Thank you to everyone for your support and your kind words of encouragement.

I sold off a few guitars and a tape machine, and bought a head w/valves from a pick and pull 944, (it had been crashed, I hand-turned over the engine a bunch of times to make sure it rotated fully) and have my gasket-set on the way.

Yes, changing the belts started as preventative maintenance. I was driving at 35mph in 3rd gear, and heard a loud clunk. . .all of a sudden, I'm coasting with no power going to my wheels. (with engine on, you can hear it shift into gear, but letting off the clutch produces a harsh grinding from the rear end, no stalling)

So the 944 was resting peacefully in my driveway; figured I'd change the old belts while it was waiting for the new rear end to be installed.

I took the intake manifold off last night, and am now just waiting for the gaskets to get here before I take anything else apart.

I don't have a camera, except the terrible one on my phone, so pics will be kinda hard. .

Just wondering if there is any other small details I should pay close attention to while I'm at this stage of disrepair. I'm thinking about getting a small compressor into the bay and taking a dry toothbrush and cleaning off as much surface area as I can. I'm also going to be replacing as many of the vacuum hoses as I can/need to/can afford to.

Your words of wisdom are not taken lightly. (It may not always be what I want to hear, but I'm glad that you say it anyway!)

Quick Reply: New guy might have seized his engine.