Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric 944!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
lElectric cars will someday be a good idea, but now you have to burn more coal to fill the batteries up. So they aren't really anymore green.
explain yourself here! lots of little car engines burning gas is very inefficient. but when you have one power plant, even if it is coal, to charge batteries, this is more green. and the idea is to incorporate solar panels because we already have an infrastructure for electricity!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bonus12
explain yourself here! lots of little car engines burning gas is very inefficient. but when you have one power plant, even if it is coal, to charge batteries, this is more green. and the idea is to incorporate solar panels because we already have an infrastructure for electricity!
because while mass power generation is efficient, power storage efficiency is not there. the production of current batteries technology is expensive and certainly not green.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fastest drag bike is electric, but drains the batteries in like 5 or 6 sec.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 PM
MN944S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://electricporsche.ca/
Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krystar
because while mass power generation is efficient, power storage efficiency is not there. the production of current batteries technology is expensive and certainly not green.
oh, since ya brought it up again...
ya but most of the battery can be recycled and the tech has improved a lot recently because they are used in cell phones, laptops, cameras, etc. i just think electric cars are awesome. imagine, the tesla is as already fast as just about any gas car, but gas cars have been developing for a century while electric cars have not! amazing.

because of that 100% torque from a start and generally a lot less friction, electric cars will soon be faster than any gas car. this is coooooooool!

and how about that tesla S!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:58 AM
CorsePerVita
Pro

right now the whole electric thing is STILL pretty primitive when you look at generation technology.

Anyone remember computers? OF COURSE YOU DO! We still use them. We went from primitive sensors, primitive chipsets and computers the size of entire rooms to now having tiny micro SD cards that can hold the entire database of a server on something smaller than your thumb nail.

I look at my 914 in it's simplicity, and in awe think "Holy crap, 40 years ago someone thought of this?" and then look at now and go "Holy crap, can I even work on this?" as things get more progressive. I look at my old CB360 and go "Holy crap, does it get any EASIER than this?" and then look at my Ducati and just love it and think "Does it just keep getting better or am I crazy?" There's something about the "Old stuff" that drives me insane, bonkers, and makes me WANT to be part of it. Vintage or classic... I love it.

BUT... there is a side of me that loves technology and this stuff FASCINATES me.

By all means... electric technology hasn't quite tapped it's full potential. Batteries are still fairly heavy, and the setups required to go long distances are as well. I think it's pretty cool stuff to be quite perfectly honest. Although I will also admit that the growl of a happy engine is something I can never and will never shake. I think it is a hard concept for some to disregard this, just because of the feeling we get, and the peace we feel and the rhythm we feel with our cars out of an engine, the feedback, the shifting, so on and so forth.

However, fact of the matter is... some of those motors put out a LOT of torque, have the potential to go VERY fast and someday could be a very cool step forward.

However... not sure if anyone keeps up on the "Electric sport cars" but when the tesla was put out for testing the weight in comparison to other cars in the class didn't do wonders for it's handling. BUT WHAT IF you could make it weight the same as them? Run on battery power AND go long distances. Well.... What then?

But remember.... from entire rooms.... to the size of smaller than your thumb nail. With time comes progression, and better technology, refinement, and efficiency...

I can only fathom the way the automotive world will turn in my lifetime. I may hate it. I may love it. I don't know for sure how it will end up. Chances have it I may end up at a time in my life when I can no longer find the required fluids to keep my air cooled porsche running. For all I know, the technology could get banned some day. My ducati may end up someday being stated as illegal due to emissions, or maybe because speed laws will require us to slow down. Or maybe fuel will become such a rare commodity that by the time I'm an old fart barely able to walk the price of oil will be as much as my mortgage per barrel and the cost per gallon of gas will be as much as I spend a week on groceries.

Who knows.

However... you can bet.... the adrenaline junkie in all of us will keep automotive sports alive. Whether it's going to be combustion, electric or something that we can't even fathom right now. It'll only get quicker, faster, better and more efficient.

And i'm sure Porsche will keep on top of it

Or, I'm insane.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:21 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

I didn't read any of this thread, but I just want to make a comment about that Tesla car. Quite frankly, I think it's the furthest away from actually being anything Nikhola Tesla himself would approve with his name. Rather than that hunk of garbage running off of 6000 laptop batteries (or however many), the car should be continuously powered by a huge monster Tesla Coil.

Electric cars today are a complete joke.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 AM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Originally Posted by Marcquito
I didn't read any of this thread, but I just want to make a comment about that Tesla car. Quite frankly, I think it's the furthest away from actually being anything Nikhola Tesla himself would approve with his name. Rather than that hunk of garbage running off of 6000 laptop batteries (or however many), the car should be continuously powered by a huge monster Tesla Coil.

Electric cars today are a complete joke.
that was mostly my point is that technology is at a beginning point. and just with any technology, there is a LOT (and man do i mean a LOT) to improve upon. imagine the concept + refining in years to come.

My life is only 1/4 over (depending on if you see it as glass half empty... i'm optimistically pessimistic) - i assume within the other 3/4 of my life (assuming i even live that long... i'll likely get taken out by a retard in an suv or something on a motorcycle) that the things I'll see with be more than I could possibly fathom right now.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Robin W.
Instructor

Well that 944 would be mine, it will be electric and it will be fun. If I wanted a drag car I would pick some small light piece of crap and give it a ton of electric power. However I want something that is enjoyable to drive just like the rest of you so I picked a 944. Up in Canada Porsches are a bit more expensive than you are use to in the USA, so the donor car came at a fair price for the market here. The parts car (green '83 with the blown engine was 700 bucks) and will get the engine out of the '86, and I'd like to thank everyone on this forum that has helped with info on the swap.

In the end I will have a pair of 944's, one gas, one electric, the electric will be my daily driver, and the gas version for longer trips. In the end the electric should look and feel exactly the same as the gas version unless a keen eye notices there is no exhaust. The interior will be stock, everything will work, it'll just run quiet and have a bunch of extra torque off the line.

The electric motor I chose has been dyno'd at over 500whp in a converted BMW, but with the batteries and controller I have chosen 300ish hp will be about the limit. Torque should be in the 300ft-lb range but again is capable of more like 500-700 as dyno'd in the BMW, think of it like a turbo more boost makes more hp/torque, in the electric more amps make more torque, and more volts plus more amps make more hp.

You don't have to like the idea, nor believe the claims, it is real though and next summer I will have some actual data and results to see if my goals have been met. It's still going to be a 944, it will handle the same, and look the same, but it will drive a little different.

As shown earlier in the thread updates will appear at electricporsche.ca I would be happy to answer any question to those interested or skeptical... I chose to convert the 944 because it's the most impressive platform I could find for the price, the good parts support and galvanized body that should last a very long time. Just think, when I'm done it'll be an air cooled Porsche, that's no so out there is it?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Equilibria
Advanced

don't give up :-) I'll be checking the status of your build as often as I can, been waiting for someone to really take the plunge with a proper build log. Hopefully it will inspire some of us (me included) to do the same, it may not be the cheapest route for a daily driver but should be fun and a little more environmental.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 PM
MN944S
Advanced

http://www.gotwavs.com/0059305935/WA...illrooting.wav
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

+1
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Robin W.
Instructor

Thanks for the support guys, I had a feeling it might be a tough crowd here. But I will press on and enjoy the build, the problems, the solutions and the final outcome. The motor shipped from Vancouver island today, soon I will be deep in the mechanical challenge of coupling a 230lb DC electric motor to the clutch and bell housing, and if possible the stock engine mounts somehow.

Would people be interested in updates and pictures on the forum or would I just draw an angry mob with pitch forks and torches? If nothing else you guys might like the replacement 12v battery that I made since it's only 10lbs but should have a bit more power than the stock battery. (and it doesn't cost as much as that Porsche branded lithium battery)
Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I'm thinking about doing an electric VW bug (classic). It's a real easy job, but with lead/acid battery technology, you do not get a fast car, and your range is about 40 miles.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robin W.
Thanks for the support guys, I had a feeling it might be a tough crowd here. But I will press on and enjoy the build, the problems, the solutions and the final outcome. The motor shipped from Vancouver island today, soon I will be deep in the mechanical challenge of coupling a 230lb DC electric motor to the clutch and bell housing, and if possible the stock engine mounts somehow.

Would people be interested in updates and pictures on the forum or would I just draw an angry mob with pitch forks and torches? If nothing else you guys might like the replacement 12v battery that I made since it's only 10lbs but should have a bit more power than the stock battery. (and it doesn't cost as much as that Porsche branded lithium battery)
You're going to use ONE battery? A decent electric car usually needs 8-10 batteries to get 30 - 40 mile range.

Quick Reply: Electric 944!